Unit 4 Drop down menu

How do I make a drop down button work in app lab? A student wants to have them use a drop down to go to the next screen based on what they pick. Is there a way to do this? Thank you for your time and help!

@lnelson, good morning! Yes, that can definitely be done. Here’s a link to a previous post in the forum where this functionality is demonstrated.

Good luck!

Mike

1 Like

Could I get a bit more information about the difference between 'onEvent (“dropdown”; “change”; variable) and (“dropdown”; “input”; variable)
My students are using them as if they are interchangeable and they seem to work the same:
Using “change”
Using “input”

These are in Unit 6 but you can click “Run Without Board”

@koliner,

Good question. If you look at the documentation for “onEvent”, you will see that change and input are very similar. In a dropdown, they are the same. Using a different kind of input, it appears that “change” requires pressing the enter key and “input” doesn’t.

Here’s the javascript documentation from Mozilla web docs…

Note: The input event is fired every time the value of the element changes. This is unlike the change event, which only fires when the value is committed, such as by pressing the enter key, selecting a value from a list of options, and the like.

This makes them interchangeable with a drop down list.

Mike

1 Like