Unit 5 traversals

As the teacher, I found the traversals section of unit 5 to be extremely challenging (especially lesson 12, traversals make) and I think it will be even more so for my students. Are traversals part of the AP examination? I know from teaching APCSP with code.org last year that I don’t remember there being traversals as part of the examination or the create task. Has that changed this year?

I thought the same but then it reminded me of the “Human Machine” activity I did 2 years ago, where students had 8 cards down and they had to go through the card list to find the minimum card. I thought this was relevant to this topic as students have to go through each element of a list for it to be traversed. I am not sure if it is on the exam but I think why would they want us to teach it if it were not on the exam.

I just did a search on AP Classroom for traversals, and it produced 23 results. So it looks like there will be some questions on the AP exam. This is the part of the unit my classes are starting next, and I have a lot of preparation I need to do over the winter break to be comfortable teaching it. It’s my first year teaching this course.

Yes - remember there were big changes in the course description and exam this year, thus the new code.org curriculum to reflect these changes. As @erogers mentioned, traversals appear on several occasions in the AP materials.

As a reminder, in each lesson you can see the connections to relevant standards at the bottom. Ex:

I just started Traversals Make with my students (Unit 5 lesson 12) and I wanted to share a few things that might make this easier for teachers/students. I introduced lesson 12 but checked in with my kids and some of them were lost. I went back to lesson 10 bubble 4 and showed them how to use the ‘Data’ tab to look at the columns in a database. I spent about 10-15 minutes walking through the code in bubble 4, explaining each line of code. Even though they had done this lesson, they hadn’t grasped it at the deeper level that they needed in order to be successful with lesson 12. I hope that helps.

2 Likes

@kabbey - Thank you for the suggestion. I am doing traversals right after break and will pause in lesson 10 and make sure the students understand it before we move on.

When grading my students’ code, sometimes I need to remix their apps… When trying to remix U5L12, I am having issues because the lists/tables do not get copied. I tried to add the tables from the Data tab. I found a “Daily Weather” table, but it only contained two columns.
Is there a solution to this problem?

There is an Example solution available for U5L12.
Click on the Teacher Panel on the right side of the screen to see the solution.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you for your help.

I know there is an example solution, but sometimes the students’ codes have bugs and the only way to figure out what is going on is by remixing their apps.

When you look at the students’ apps as a teacher, you are not able to modify their code. Only by remixing the students’ apps you can try solutions and then discuss them with the students.

When remixing my students’ apps for this level, the tables are no longer available. The code shows all of the warnings.

A. Rossignoli

I am on U5L10 right now. In the lesson plan it states “answers are provided on the bottom of the instructions area for verified teachers”. I cannot find them. I have found them in other lessons of mine, but I can’t seem to find them at all in this lesson. I have made sure I was in “teacher” mode and not student mode. Normally they are in a tab next to instructions in the instructions portion of the level my students are working on. Is anyone able to help me find them? Thank you!

If you are looking for progamming solutions you will find them in the Teacher panel on the right side of each puzzle. The Teacher Panel may be hidden. You may need to click on the arrow to make it visible. Solutions to activity guides and worksheets are usually found in the Overview puzzle (Usually puzzle 1) of each lesson. Here is a picture of where you can find the programming samples.

Hello and thank you! Yes, I know about those…but the lesson plans state that the answers to the activity guide are at the “bottom of the instructions area”. I can’t seem to find those answers. Oh my…I use the teacher panel solutions ALL OF THE TIME! :wink:

Sorry, I misunderstood. Now I see what you mean. The “For Teachers Only” section seems to be missing in each of the puzzles. I would suggest you write to support@code.org and let them know. I will let the team know as well. Thank you for your patience.

You are too kind! Thank you so much! I appreciate you trying to help me. This is only my second year teaching this (with no coding background) and I rely heavily on the assistance given by the hints :slight_smile: I will reach out to the support. Thank you again.

Thank you again, for your answer. I am not looking for the teacher panel. I already know it is there.
What I am saying is this: “when you remix the students’ apps for this level, the tables do not transfer”. Sometimes you need to remix the students’ apps to analyze their solutions, that might be different from the example provided by Code.org.
Please, see the picture that I included with my post.

Thank you again, for your answer. I am not looking for the teacher panel. I already know it is there.

What I am saying is this: “when you remix the students’ apps for this level, the tables do not transfer”. Sometimes you need to remix the students’ apps to analyze their solutions, that might be different from the example provided by Code.org.
Please, see the picture that I included with my post.

@rossiai You are right, the tables do not transfer. You would need to go to the Data tab, search for the table you are looking for and import it into the project. I don’t think there is any straightforward solution to this.

No. The last element in the array is at myArray.length - 1 which is less than but not equal to myArray.length.

Ahh, ok, yes, making more sense now. -1 necessary to access last item in an array, but not necessary in for-loop parameters. Thanks.

Is there a completed Unit 5 Lesson 12 Traversals Make activity guide - as the teacher who is still learning this with limited experience I would benefit from having an answer key or sample activity guide to look at as I am planning / helping my students. Please advise. Thank you!