What can I skip in Unit 2?

I’m running behind. What can I skip in Unit 2…anything? What about 3…just looking ahead :slight_smile:

Hi, @christyi,

There are some lessons in units 2 & 3 that could be skipped, but it is going to depend on whether or not you have local standards that you may need to cover. For example, lessons 5 and 12 (Digital Footprint and Sources and Search Engines aren’t as heavy in html content, however, I find these essential to teach as I think they are important concepts for my students to know.

In unit 3, when I have ran short on time, I have found that completing the first chapter (up through the interactive card) is highly satisfying to my students even when we run out of time and don’t get to the game creation, however, when we have had time to continue, students like the games as well (2nd chapter).

If this is your first time through, I may suggest that, however. The first chapter will teach them the basics of game lab and teach them how to create animations and if you have some students who finish early, you could let them work ahead and some of them might get to the game creation on their own.

I’m sure other teachers have other suggestions, but that’s my 2 cents!

thanks,

Mike

1 Like

Thanks Mike!

We started Unit 2 today…wow…I felt like the timing was way off. We finished much earlier than what the lesson plan said. Have you experienced this? Our workshop is tomorrow, I’m looking forward to hearing from the other teachers. I am behind mosting because I’m not really liking teaching it and have been focusing on other aspects of my class. I am embedding a semester of this into my one year digital media class. We are on a block schedule of 115 mintues and I’m doing this once a week with them. I tried doing it both days for half the period but that didn’t seem to be working out.

1 Like

You will get good information from your quarterly workshop, I am sure. Unit 2 lessons can go faster than expected, for sure. Don’t give up on it. Unit 3 is the one students are most engaged in, but unit 2 gets fun too and is a good skill for sure for them to pick up. I’m sure after you’ve gone through it once or twice, you’ll be able to adapt and teach the lessons that are best for your students!

Mike

1 Like