'16-'17 General Discussion for Lesson 2.12

Use this thread to discuss your questions and comments about how to run the lesson.

I had to students use real data from our school. We use GoogleSheet for students to login when they go to the tutoring center. It keeps track of what subject they go down there to work on, which teacher, etc. We have over 2,000 students logins so far so they had a ton of data. I removed the student names and they created a data story and presented it to the administration to show the important of the tutoring center, especially how it benefits math.

If you can find some real data from the school they got into it even more!

2 Likes

I really like this idea of using real data to support something relevant in the students lives. Shows the students how data can be used to help/support something they care about. :slight_smile:

Hi All,

I am interested in shifting this lesson to have a bit more of a social justice focus. Does anyone have any good places to get data sets about social justice issues?

Thanks!
KT

Found this great website with tons of different Data sets for Social Scientists: https://www.ciser.cornell.edu/ASPs/datasource.asp

2 Likes

@karenma Great idea! This unit seems like it has a lot of opportunity to bring in social justice… UNFORTUNATELY we are just finishing up this unit but next year I am really going to try to make it more social justice focused.

Also, just a heads up for people out there - I had my students share out in groups by counting off. I noticed that my students needed to brainstorm norms around presenting/listening to each other in class. I thought it was common courtesy, but apparently that isn’t so common. We talked about the importance of actually showing your group your visual and for listeners to be making eye-contact and asking questions etc. In my second hour, after having that conversation, the presentations went a lot better.

One thing I am learning this year is I need to give clearer cues to students for when they need to be off their electronics.

We are on the “activity guide: discover a data story” and at the bottom under the heading “Present your findings” and on the second bullet it states “on the next page, you will find a template for presenting the pattern you found” Where is the template?* Unless we are misunderstanding something. --Thanks so much, Lindsey McCarter aka @Linzthelibrarian

Page 2 of that document is meant to be a “template”. It simply provides space to present your graphic and gives you the response prompts. It’s nothing special.

Baker
CSP Team