Actual Scoring for AP Exams

Hi, does anyone know the numbers for the AP exam score that indicate the levels? Like AP Calculus AB from a final score of 108 if you get 64 or higher it is a 5. I have been trying to find any score breakdown based on last year’s pilot but have yet to see the actual numbers.
Regards,
VJ

@vijayshree_sundar

There are no numbers to share with thresholds for each AP score. These decisions are made at each reading. Since this is the first real administration, historical data to make an educated guess from does not exist yet. I think it will take a few test administrations to get some reliable data.

Andrea

2 Likes

Thanks Andrea, Will pass on the news to the CSP teachers in the District here.
Regards,
VJ

Hello All - Does anyone know if there’s been an update on this topic? Has AP been able to get enough data to publish example grading thresholds for levels 3, 4, and 5? Ideally any published framework takes into account weightings for the exam, Explore PT, and Create PT as they contribute to a total score.

Randy

Not as far as I know!

I checked in with the code.org team, and they have not heard anything new. They have changed the rubric since the original exam, so scores likely don’t align from previous years yet. I also suspect that it will all reset next year with the new framework. It will take a few years for them to concretely separate out scores.

1 Like

I am also interested if anyone knows of any information AP has released about their recent previous Multiple Choice exams, even if they have not released cutoff scores for 5, 4, 3 etc. For example, on AP Classroom, there are released secure practice exams for 2020. Does anyone know if these exams were used in recent test administrations? If so, has AP released the data about the percentage of students who answered each question correctly for any of these? Thanks in advance!

Hi @mroth,

I don’ thave specific information about certain questions, but I did find this resource about the 2021 exams:

It looks like different versions had different scores to account for small differences in difficulty.

–Michael K.

Thanks for your help! It looks like AP has not released detailed information breakdown for CSP multiple choice exams at this time, but this overview was an interesting read.

1 Like