U1 Day 11-14: PD Discussion Topic

The opportunity to create using the computer should help keep students engaged. I plan to talk with our Yearbook teacher to see some new ideas and ways to use programs.

Clearly I need to do some practice work - tutorials using 3d software. This is new for me. We do have Photoshop so I know that wonā€™t be an issue, but I need to do some practice before introducing this to my own class. This took me quite a bit longer than I would like to admit here. I agree - this would have been nice to do in our PD class. I will have to rely on others in this forum for ideas on how to keep my students interested with this one.

I plan on showing students gcode and other data behind the magic of 3D printing and CAD. I also plan on showing students how computer science is used to turn data from geological samples into 3D models.

I am basket weaver, so I can use actual examples in the classroom. I can share the patterns I use when making baskets and talk about why I use certain types of wood for the style of basket as well as the overall design. This unit can be a fun one for me because I have a basement full of supplies that my husband would love to see used. We can talk about symmetry, geometric designs, angles, etc. as we create baskets.

I plan to incorporate

designing a house with a computer as it generally keeps the students interested and creative.

I agree and I also like the videos.

I plan to use the Navajo Rug Weaver and use various toolsā€¦first use some graph paper to sketch out a picture and use some crayons to actually color the pattern. I will limit their patterns to the use of the shapes that were in the software.

Then do some math, pulling out the coordinates at the key points, and have them work in groups to figure out the best way to draw them on the computerā€¦should they use a line? rectangle?triangle? interative triangle? I like this lesson because you can draw connections to the looping structures found in programming later on.

I will explain to students how the computer processor, ram, and vga card function to display graphics on the monitor. Therefore, when we use photoshop, illustrator, flash, autocad, sketchup, or create a website, they have a better understanding of how a computer functions and how computer science is important to these applications.

Definitely would use Word and the graphing of ideas from the interests of the students. At this time, I do not have access to Word since our district has added all of these new buildings and all the technology in our building is down while others are a little more top priority, but with thatā€¦we use the data and graphic/design using the good oleā€™ colors and paper. Monitor and adjust always! :smile:

I think this is a great video (about Jon Landau) to visualize the data, modeling, and design in the movie industry. However, with my students we might have to work with something a little more recent like the ā€œLego Movieā€ and the animation behind it.

Using these applications in class will be great. This will help students understand the math concept behind the designs and it gives students to creativity to come up with different designs using these software.

I will introduce the designing tools and have students edit their designs using Blender or Photoshop. But before presentations I think I will introduce the discussion that shows the relationship between these activities and the question: What did the computer scientists who created the tools need to know? (computer science, graphics, culture, anthropology, visual arts, language arts, history)

Here is the bead project. Iā€™m a bit slow on the uptakeā€¦it took me a week for the light bulb to illuminate with this particular activity, I kept downloading the software and I could not for the life of me get anything to work! I guess the adage ā€œyou canā€™t teach an old dog new tricksā€ is true! However, I think my students will absolutely love working these activities.

I think I will have my students work with Pixlr and Blender. I know some of them are super savvy and canā€™t wait to dive into the work for later. I want them to come to me with their designs, I think if I assign them something it may not be as successful. Iā€™m still learning their habits. I like the idea of coming up with something that some manufacturers around here may be able to manufacture for them.

I agree, the bead loom was hard to grasp and I wish I had someone to go over it with me. I have no idea where my bead loom design went. I clicked save and gave it a name, but it never told me where it was saved

This lesson is related to computer science because so much of computer science is about design. On the one hand, there are many computer scientists who work on creating programs which allow users to create designs like we did here. Additionally, any computer scientist has to think about how their program will be used by consumers, so it had better have a good user interface with a sleek and intuitive design.

Here is my original bead loom design:

and here is the edited version I made using pixlr.com, which is a free web-based photo editor:

1 Like

I am going to talk to our CAD teacher and see if we can collaborate on this lesson. I think that my students will really enjoy creating their own designs and it will be fun to see how different each one comes out.

Computer science is all about being able to give specific instructions and make a computer do what you want it to. This activity allows students to creatively experiment with that idea.

The biggest takeaway from this lesson for me is how computers can impact life with the use of 3D printers, the options seem endless. Taking a need, modeling a solution, and then designing the actual ā€œfixā€ for the need. Endless possibilities!

To be honest, I struggled with the depth of content that this lesson provided and how Photoshop was related to the initial activity (beads/weaving). That being said, I think I will try to emphasize CGI and even simpler data visualizations to focus the students on CS concepts. In the past Iā€™ve used sketchfab.com as an extension in computer applications (when learning about image editors). I like the other posterā€™s idea with the Gettysburg address, and might try something similar to it using stories in the news, presidential addresses or debates, etc.

For anyone looking for free programs for image creation/editing, I encourage you to check out GIMP and Inkscape, which are both free and powerful in their capabilities.