U3 Day 17-19: PD Discussion Topic

U3 Day 17-19: PD Discussion Topic

The gallery walks will allow students to continually collaborate with each other. They can share ideas and hopefully this will generate discussion among them. You could have a periodic class discussion asking students to share some ideas of what they are incorporating into their web pages. You could also get an idea “parking lot” going where students could post sticky notes with ideas to try or elements they are incorporating into their web pages.

I plan to use gallery walks to help my students to continue collaborating about their web pages. Guiding questions would include:
What do you like best about the webpage?
What one thing would you change?

I used the gallery walk as a means of continuing collaboration. Some of my guiding questions would be:
What is the main focus of your website?
Who is the audience?
What is the purpose?
What type of webpage is it: Entertaining, Marketing a product, Educational, etc.

My students will work with peers who have similar plans for their futures to create a web page that showcases each person’s dreams in their group. Students will be able to help each other create a web page that shows their creativity and skill.

This would be a great place to use a gallery walk. Students will be able to provide feedback and also ask questions that maybe the designer didn’t notice in thier site. This also gives the students an opportunity to see what their peers are doing and might spark some other ideas to add to their own sites. I think all of this can be done by the students using sticky notes like we did in our PD face-to-face training. We can then reflect and discuss as a class.

I would have students stop part way through the project then receive feedback from at least 2 other peers before continuing with the project.

Students have to specifically state:
What are strong points in the website?

What points of improvement do you have going forward?

Greetings

This question is similar to day 6 & 7
I think I would stay along the same line except for the addition of 5 & 6

1. How good do you think you page will look?
  2. Will you have the best page in the class?
  3. What do you think the best page will look like?
  4. I see that you understood the topic; can you help your neighbor?
  5. How can you make the page better?

6. How could you use this page or an adaptation to help you at school?

I agree with the guiding questions. I plan to add a question about the clarity of the website. Is it easy to understand and use?

One of the ideas that I got from one of the workshops that I attended was to have students to do a gallery walk and then include comments to the creator of the website, as they walk around.

I like the stop and show peers for feedback. A great way for a reflection as well after the comments from their peers.

Gallery walks, it gets the kids thinking about other options and allows them to see what other students are doing

That is exactly what I am doing. Then we discuss what good elements look like and what doesn’t work so well. No names attached just discuss good design.

You can have a day where the students exchange copy of their code with one another. Then the students can update or edit the other students work. This will help give the students fresh ideas. You can ask students what would you do if this was your website or what would you like to see if you used this website.

How will you help students to continue collaborating about their web pages?

Reminded them

• of the tutorial tools that were available,
  • to use the problem solving method practiced in Unit 2
  • to ask their classmates when they got stuck be for seeking the from their instructor
  • deconstruct the source code of pages that contained styles that they were attempting to emulate
  • basically, I didn’t have to, they all sat in ‘knots of collaborators’ that they chose to be with and work with each day that they walked into the classroom.

What specific guiding questions tend to lead well to these types of activities?

What is site’s focus? Keep that focus. Keep the main thing the main thing.

Who is the audience? What is needed to keep their attention, fill their ‘bucket’, engage their thinking?

What is the purpose? Keep the main thing the main thing!

Decide the type of webpage it will be (entertainment, sales, education, sports, environment, etc.) and build around that concept.

The gallery walks are an excellent idea. There are multiple strategies for publishing webpages. Some students are ready to move forward.

I will continue to use the gallery walk; it is very effective. It allows students to see other students’ work and it creates an environment where students feel comfortable asking how to improve what they are doing.

Gallery walks always seem to lead to “how did you do that?”, or " what in the world…" or " that’s pretty cool, can you show me…".

After student finish their work they share with their peers and with the teacher. It is like and exhibition of their work. If they work with laptops, this process is more dynamic. Advanced students show their work and help peers. They play the role of teacher assistants.

I am all for gallery walks as in they get the students moving about the classroom and give them a chance to review peer work, post questions about a different topic, or even solve problems that are presented on the pages. My classroom is a computer lab with the ability to showcase student work either directly on the students’ computers or on a SmartBoard. My extension for this lesson usually involves peer feedback with the page on the smartboard. Students will decide what they like and what they think can be improved upon.

This feeds into my “client work”. My students are usually “hired” by clubs or other teachers to create the materials and websites for their events or organizations.