'16-'17 General Discussion for Lesson 2.14

Use this thread to discuss your questions and comments about how to run the lesson.

Just a heads up, there is a typo in the table provided in the lesson plan. One of my students questioned it so we took it as a learning experience, and I ended up tasking them with a way to check it.

For the men, average rating of all movies should be 3.53 and not 5.53.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! It’s fixed!

If you hit refresh on the lesson plan you should see the change.

Thanks again,

Baker
CSP Team

Students didn’t complete the Free Play. My fault but they thought it meant optional or free!

My students are having a hard time following the .gifs in this lesson. The “issue” is that it moves quite quickly and if you miss exactly what to click on in a menu, they have to wait for the whole thing to cycle again. Some students felt it would be better as a video so they could pause it.

I will refer to the matter to the code team. Look for an answer in the morning…

Hi Jennifer,

I hear you on the gifs. We wrestle with this a lot - whether to make static graphics and diagrams, gifs, or videos…

We’ll take this feedback into advisement for the future, but we’ll have to figure out some strategies to use the gifs for now (videos are surprisingly hard to support across platforms so we opted not to use them for these small tasks). If possible I would suggest students work side-by-side with two computers. One has the instructions up on screen and the other the spreadsheet.

Sorry, that’s the best I can do. I hope it gets better for you and your students over time.

Baker
CSP Team

1 Like

Thanks Baker! I did have them open side by side windows on their computers and they worked through it. Thanks for all you have done! We are really enjoying the course!

1 Like

There was a suggestion that we can use the Pivot Table rubric so students can assess each other. Where can I find that rubric?

@awade I am wondering if this resource doesn’t exit. I looked at the old lesson plan and it also mentions the rubric but it doesn’t link to it. @brook do you have any insight as to where this resource might be?

hey, @kaitie_o_bryan and @awade!

i poked around a bit and can’t find this anywhere. if i had to guess, i’d say it’s something we initially planned to build but didn’t make the final cut. I’ve updated the lesson plan so it no longer references this rubric.

sorry about that!

-brook