About the Website and Tools How-To category

Hey @jold, I did get your program to run but it took a little work.

When I click on your link it opens your project in “The Theatre” environment and when I try to run it I am getting the same error you are. This is a “Neighborhood” project tho. So I copied and pasted your code into the sandbox for Unit 1 (Lesson 22: Sandbox: The Neighborhood).

I got another error and in your RandomWalkPainter class in the constructor, line 12, it tries to initialize numMoves to 0 but your instance variable is numberOfMoves. Then when I ran it I got the following error: [EXCEPTION] The location specified isn’t on the grid. I’m assuming you are using a grid larger than 8x8 so it makes sense I would get this error because in your myNeighborhood class on line 7 you set x = 16. I changed it to x = 4 and the painter is able to move.

I’ll bring up to the dev team that when sharing a project, it would be nice to have the original environment (ex: neighborhood, theatre, console) translate over with the share link. These are definitely things to email to support@code.org. I know we have limited time as teachers but I know the entire code.org team is dedicated to making the student/teacher experience with the curriculum as user friendly as possible. All of these scenarios are really great to bring up and I can’t thank you enough for sharing your experience and great ideas you are using in your class.

-Sam

code.org responded and said they were looking into changing how long programs will run and at some point will fix the share option.

Yeah, we are using the 32x32 neighborhood.
Sorry about the confusion with the numberOfMoves, we have been messing around with the code and I had neglected to change the variable name in the constructor.

It’s been fun and to tackle the “tough” topics in CSA right off the bat, but so far the students are enjoying it.
thanks,

My students and I are doing a research project and wanted to know if we could talk to someone in charge of Java Lab development. We are wanting to collaborate on a research project for improving AP computer science delivery. How can I contact them?

Greetings Marcus,

Sounds like an interesting research project that you all are dreaming up over there! I think that the best avenue for you to get in touch with one of our engineers would be by using support@code.org.

In your email, I would describe the project in as much detail as possible as well as provide an email address where they might respond.

Best of luck and have a great year!
Erik

1 Like