Creating Java based projects in App Lab

Hello,

I’m currently teaching AP Computer Science A using the code.org curriculum. I’m trying to find a way to create a new project in app lab using Java as the code type. So far I’ve not found a way to do this.

Am I simply doing it wrong? Or are Java projects (aside from the lesson levels in Java lab as a part of the curriculum) unsupported?

Thanks,
James

Hi @jmethvin , currently JavaLab does not have standalone environment like App Lab. You can use one of the sandbox levels at the end of the unit to create a project from scratch. See this post for more info. If you have any more questions please reach out.

-Sam

Looks like you need a verified teacher account to use it. Why?

@wutadam I do have a verified teacher account, so I don’t believe that is the issue.

That seems like a significant oversight to have a full-fledged REPL for Java but not have a means to create custom projects. I guess I’ll need to point students to replit.com or have them upload sources files/eclipse projects as a work around.

@sam_stafford are there plans to add this functionality? And if so, a general ETA?

Thanks,
James

Hey @jmethvin, I don’t believe they are adding this functionality any time soon. The suggestions I have come across are to use the sandboxes. If I hear of anything different I will reach back out!

-Sam

I did a workaround to do this in Unit 1 - Neighborhood. I created an assessment asking students to write a class extending PainterPlus, with some specific requirements. I instructed them to also create a new MyNeighborhoodTwo main class. I had them delete the MyNeighborhood main from the workspace (but not the briefcase). They could then write and test their new classes in the current workspace. jr

1 Like