Differentiation for Computer Science Discoveries Workshop 2

ADHD: Movement and chunking of videos, do another activity, watch portions of the video then do another assignment then return to the video.

Average Student: tailoring the assignments to their interests, addressing their learning styles, checking for understanding especially at the beginning of the assignments, repetition, modeling of assignments, offering the information a variety of ways.

RSP: collaboration, pairing with a student above their level, but not excessively high above their level, screencasts for steps to code so they have a visual representation.

Challenges (ADHD, Average and RSP) :slight_smile:

Fidgety, easily distracted, seek out diversions, bored, the average kids are ignored, rsp are overwhelmed, inertia

Strategies: (ADHD, Average and RSP):

Seating, short breaks, squeeze ball, checking in, student jobs, grouping, peer support

Resources:

After school support, club support

Defeated students going into the lesson

Kinesthetic Learner-stools that rock with student’s movement, take a lap around room for stress reliever or to think

Do these students of yours cry?

No, they just have no self-motivation. They give up before they ever try, like they don’t even read the directions. They just look at something and say “I don’t get it…” or “this is confusing…” I am finding it difficult to get these particular students excited, and we haven’t even scratched the surface.

Have you seen the Mindset lessons on Khan Academy? Using these with students that don’t think they can complete it helped some of my students. The thing I use the most in my classroom from Mindset is “The Power of Yet”. There is a big difference between saying “I can’t code” and “I can’t code, yet”. Janelle Monae sings about the power of yet for Sesame Street. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLeUvZvuvAs

Here in NJ we really love the unplugged activities for the ADHD students. And, by the way, we have the best facilitators EVER!