Explicit Parameter Requirement

In previous years, the chief reader reports noted students were challenged by using explicit parameters vs. implicit parameters.
Common misconception: "Failing to use one or more explicit parameters in the submitted procedure. In these cases, some responses select procedures that use implicit parameters (e.g., global variables or text boxes which are set just prior to the procedure being called), while others simply prompt for the data the procedure requires from within the procedure itself. "
“High-scoring responses include a procedure that takes one or more explicit parameters that are necessary for the procedure to perform its function and that does not rely on external data from global variables or user interface elements.”
There are more notes about this. I’m having a hard time following or understanding exactly what they are looking for. I think I’ve confused myself at this point.
I have seen many students store user input and then pass it in as an argument. Now I’m concerned this is incorrect.
With the new exam format, I don’t see any mention of explicit parameters beyond the terminology page.

Does anyone else anticipate this being an issue this year? If so, can someone share examples and non-examples of how students should use explicit parameters?

I don’t think anyone knows really. In the webinars on AP classroom, they referenced you would need one in a row other than 2, but never circled back around to explain where. It is still in the updated instructions on the student handout from AP.

I am telling my kids to include one on there app. Better to be safe than sorry.