Exploring Computer Science PD: Preparing for in-person PD #2

My name is Anne. I am entering my fourth year of teaching special education. I work primarily with 12th grade students, but will also be working with a group of 9th grade students during the upcoming year for the ECS course.

My hobbies include running, baking, and watching Netflix. I’m looking forward to meeting everyone at the training and beyond.

Hi I’m Mel,

I teach Algebra 1 in the South Bronx. I never taught or learned coding (except during the MySpace years).

My hobbies include cubing and basketball. I’m super excited to learn to code and teach a job ready skill to my students!

Hi,

I’m Bob.

I have been teaching math in the Bronx for the past 8 years. I have never taught computer science before, but I do have some basic coding knowledge that I’ve acquired from running my own website (www.cubewhiz.com, active over 10 years now!). I also took a course on Java in college (over 10 years ago).

I have also attended workshops on teaching computer programming via Bootstrap, a course that teaches algebra via computer programming. It seems like an interesting way to teach algebra and would be a great supplement to an algebra course.

My interests include solving Rubik’s Cubes and softball (I coach at my school).

I look forward to learning more about the course and teaching computer science!

Hi Mel,

You mention that you enjoy cubing. Do you mean Rubik’s Cubes? How fast can you solve one?

Yes! I can solve a rubik’s cube. Fast time was a little under 30 seconds, but that was totally luck. I average 45 seconds to a minute. I used the term cubing only because I’ve solved the 2x2x2, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, megaminx and pyraminx.

How about you? What’s your fastest time and have you solve anything other than the 3x3x3?

Hi Mel,

I have solved a number of twisty puzzles…I have been solving them since 2001 and competed in over 100 competitions; most recently I was one of the organizers of the US National Championship in South Carolina earlier this month.

My best time in competition is 13.15 seconds, but I have gotten faster times of 11-12 seconds at home. Now, though, I average around 20 seconds. My competition results are found on this page:
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/p.php?i=2003BURT01

If you are interested in getting faster, I have some tips for getting faster on my website, www.cubewhiz.com.

Great to see another cuber on here. I’m actually planning on hosting a competition this fall. If you’re interested, I can keep you updated as the competition comes to fruition.

My name is Vanessa Bowman. I just finished my third year teaching at a small high school in East Flatbush, Brooklyn called Arts and Media Preparatory Academy. I am a chemistry teacher and have never taught a computer science class before but am very excited to do so this fall. Over the last few years I have been taking pottery classes at a studio in Brooklyn and in general love all crafts. I look forward to meeting everyone soon!

Hi,

My name is Paul Narducci and I am a Biology teacher at BASE high school in Brooklyn. I am very excited to join this program and learn something that is not only beneficial to my school, but for me as well. Looking forward to meeting all of you in person.

Looking forward to seeing you!!!

I am a NYC City College (CCNY) graduate in Biology. I taught freshman biology at CCNY for two years during my Graduate work in Behavioral Biology (Ethology). I was invited to teach in the New York City DOE by a career changer who was to become a South Bronx High School Principal. At CCNY School of education received a 7-12 Biology Certification. Now, 2015, I am a tenured Science (Earth Science, Forensics, Living Environment, and AP BIO/Technology coordinator (Izone-iLearnNYC, Googleschool) in the same high school for six year with the same Principal. I will be teaching ESC this fall. I taught, with the help of New Jersey Institute of Technology, Lego underwater Robotics Challenge and Competition. I coordinate a robust student MOUSE team that helps the school and me a great deal.

I love to drive (last time, I drove from NYC to Vegas, via Chicago (Loved taste of Chicago), Memphis, Texas, Arizona, stopping often and taking in the community experiences). Love Sci-fi movies (SG-1, Atlantis). Enjoy Sherlock Homes mysteries and Mystery novels. Enjoy riding my bike from the Bronx to Central Park.

Hello,

My name is Emilio Ramos and I will be starting my first year as a teacher this September. I will be teaching 7th grade math and an ECS course. I am extremely excited to begin this journey and can’t wait to meet all of my students. My interests include, but are not limited to, playing basketball, hiking, and spending time with my dog.

Please see bio above. The system was telling me that I did not post here.

I’ve been teaching Mathematics for about 13 years in the New York Public Schools system. I feel that in our everyday world where technology is rapidly moving, I need to catch up. Learning more about computer science in this manner will help me progress along with my students. I am a bit apprehensive and nervous about teaching something that I am learning, but I feel that I have a lot of support from Code.org.

I’ve been teaching 6 years at an alternative high school in Tooele, UT. I currently teach Business Communications, Computer Science Principles, Entrepreneurship and Marketing. I will be adding ECS in the fall. I enjoy traveling, spending time with family and spoiling my grandsons.