Extra - Extra Practice (Unit 1)

I’ve found that I want to gauge my students’ understanding in a context other than the Neighborhood, so I’ve been building scenario-style formative checkins for them throughout Unit 1. These help me understand their ability to apply skills (inheritance, using classes, reading documentation etc.) elsewhere and give them an opportunity to see how these skills might relate to some other subjects they are interested in. Here is a practice assessment and Documentation that I gave to students this year after lesson 5 that focuses on using classes and their methods. Perhaps it will be a useful tool for others!

1 Like

@madeline_r_burton - thank you for sharing! This is a fantastic idea to have students use other scenarios in the Extra Practice. I am wondering if pulled any questions from AP Classroom?

Sylvia

I have not for Unit 1. It didn’t feel like there was anything that was accessible given the reordering of content. Have you found anything there useful for Unit 1?

Thanks for sharing that resource, Madeline! I agree that there is not much on AP Classroom that students will be ready for in unit 1. Creating extra extra practice like this is a great way of giving them more practice outside of the Painter & neighborhood :slight_smile:

Best,
Lindsay

Hey @madeline_r_burton, thank you so much for including your extra resources! I had a few questions on how to implement it. Is there documentation for this Spaceship object? For example, the first question " 1. Rename your spaceship to “Galaxy Cruiser” and print its new name." Are the students given the name of the object? If the object name was ship would it be ship.setName("Galaxy Cruiser")? and System.out.println(ship.getName());
I like this idea but would like some clarification as far as implementation or possible an answer key. Thanks again for sharing!
Best,
-Sam

Ah! Good question @sam_stafford . There is a second handout with the fake API documentation. I suppose that would be important if this is to be useful for anyone else!! Here’s the link to that.

3 Likes

Hey @madeline_r_burton this is awesome!!! I love the formatting of the class as well. It’s evident you took some time developing this assessment. Thank you so much for sharing it with the community!
-Sam

1 Like

I am not able to access your document.

Hi @madeline_r_burton, if you are still willing to share your resources I am seeing what @mjdeister is seeing. I no longer have rights to view those documents.

Hmm, looks like my school has changed our drive preferences so I can no longer share outside our domain. I’ll look for a different way to host them.

2 Likes

Thank you for willing to share your resources.

I talked with the IT team and it should be up again!

2 Likes

Thank you, I am able to access it.

1 Like

@mjdeister - try this link.

Sylva