How to download student progress?

Dear colleagues, We have got a nice roster of student where you see animated progress under Student Accounts and Progress. I am sure may needed to get it as a downloadable spreadsheet file showing student name and the status of each puzzle they had to solve throughout the assigned course.

Is there any easy way to do that? If not, I will have to go through each and every student and create a spreadsheet by hand :frowning:

1 Like

At the moment, we donā€™t recommend using student progress to assess grades for Courses 1-4. Progress is just not a great way of understanding what students learn. For this reason, we donā€™t have a data export.

We are working on a better system, but in the meantime, it might be a better idea to give students a quiz to see if they can pick out the right block for a given situation. This will give you far more information about how well students are understanding the concepts, and wonā€™t put students will missed CS days at risk of coming off as uneducated.

Dear Kiki, thanks for our response. Indeed, more individual approach is better, but sometimes we need some quantitative approximation, where this would come handy. Look forward for your new tool. Many thanks from Azerbaijan.

3 Likes

I would like to add my vote: such functionality would be very useful.
Now I digitize the graphical informations from the website. It is a great waste of time.

Robert from Poland

1 Like

Adding my ā€˜voteā€™ for being able to export progress data. If the data is being offered visually on screen then it would be helpful to have it downloadable for our own records. I think we can trust teachers to use data sensibly and for them not to assume it equates to what students have really learned.

4 Likes

Thanks for your vote! That is helpful as we are currently exploring ways to best share progress with students, teachers, admin and families. Please add thoughts here or email us at teacher@code.org

1 Like

Any update on this? Especially with being remote, itā€™d be great to be able to export the progress data when looking at participation across optional assignments.

1 Like

Itā€™s 2021 - and Iā€™m adding my voice to the request to make this data downloadable.

Even just to be able to see the whole class progress at once, instead of having to scroll within the window. It would be very useful in terms of identifying who is ā€˜stuckā€™ and needs support.

1 Like

I see my request from 2016 still gets support from fellow teachers. Any updates, dear @Code.org team?

I support this improvement. I have to show how much progress has been made and it is very time consuming copying the dots into Excel, it is also easy to make mistakes which is also not useful.

1 Like

Anybody from @code.org team, can you please finally add this feature. At least reply to this thread?

Hello @ayusubov and others! Youā€™re far from alone in this request for a print-friendly / exportable or otherwise easily-sharable progress report, and our team has work tracked to address this in future updates. Reports and comments like those in this thread make our site and offerings better for everyone, and allow us to better prioritize our work, so thanks again for chiming in here!

1 Like

Dear colleagues,

While dear @code.org team has finally reacted with a promise (for the request reiterated since 2016), I have got some updates:
The progress dashboard pages in HTML have strange behavior:

• student data and their progress data is stored separately in the page
  • progress data is downloaded portion-by-portion while you scroll down the list
  • if you do not save full page you donā€™t get this data included in the .html file

My colleague wrote a small script to extract student records data and then match it with progress data, if I provide several files of saved dashboard page for different position of scrolling the list. It worked (we had group of about 160 students). Please bear with us, I may come back with a github link.

With warmest regards from the City of Winds, the Land of Fire.

Any update on that github link?

1 Like

It took me half a year to chase my colleague for putting these as a GitHub repository. Check https://github.com/ADA-SITE/code-org-student-progress-scraper during the day. He will upload the python script.

Does this code still work? It just gives me errors.

C:\Users\twright\Downloads\scraper>python solver.py "Wright - 2ND Period - Programming 1"
Processing code.org results...
->Processing user progress...
->Processing progress file: ./progress_files\.keep...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\twright\Downloads\scraper\solver.py", line 222, in <module>
    generateUserProgressReport()
  File "C:\Users\twright\Downloads\scraper\solver.py", line 180, in generateUserProgressReport
    userProgress = processCodeOrgData()
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\twright\Downloads\scraper\solver.py", line 166, in processCodeOrgData
    userIdToProgress.update(__getUserIdToProgressMapping(path))
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

Hey, Travis. It was working last time we used it in February. Did you follow the instructions? Saving the html files is somehow tricky.

I used the ā€œSave Page Asā€¦ā€ I created 2 HTML files to capture the entire list of students. I tried in both Chrome and Firefox. Both browsers created an HTML file and folder each time I would save. I placed both the HTML files and Folders in the ā€œprogress_filesā€ folder on each attempt.

Is there a better way to save the HTML file?

I got it going! You have to delete the ā€œ.keepā€ file. Thank you!

Update: I also had to delete the folders that were generated when saving.

Kindly note ā€œif you do not save full page you donā€™t get this data included in the .html fileā€ If you do Save page asā€¦ ā€œWeb Page, HTML onlyā€, it will not work, you need to do it ā€œWeb Page, completeā€