(iZone) Computer Science in Science PD: What to Expect #4

Congratulations! Do you feel that being a parent will change the way you see and work with your students, or visa versa? Or maybe you have to wait and see what being the parent of a middle school child is like :slight_smile:

-Maddie

Hi Everyone!

My name is Kristin. I have been teaching at Isaac Newton Middle School in East Harlem for the past 10 yrs. Iā€™ve taught 6th, 7th, and 8th grade science and 1 year of 8th grade math. I will be teaching 6th grade science next year and very excited to incorporate Computer Science into the curriculum. I donā€™t have too much experience with computer science but I did take a Visual Basics class and C++ in college and I remember liking it. I am also an Urban Advantage teacher and have been involved with the program for about 8 years.

Hi!

My name is Debbie and I have been teaching 8th grade science for 6 years. I am very excited to learn more about Computer Science, I think this will be a fabulous experience for me and my students!

Hi Cristine,

I am a NYC Teaching fellow also, cohort 19. I went to Pace University, what school did you attend?

Debbie

Hello everyone! My name is Amanda and I am a 7th Grade Science and STEM teacher at MS 104 Simon Baruch Middle School in Manhattan. This is my eighth year teaching and my first year learning about Computer Science! I have some familiarity with Code.org as I helped out a colleague who ran a Computer Science Week where students were introduced to the House of Code and other CS websites and activities. I am very excited to learn about how I can teach CS within my science class!

Hi Christine! Nice to meet you! I was also a teaching fellow (cohort 14 which goes way way back) but it is great to hear that you are incorporating so much technology within your first year! I look forward to meeting you!- Amanda

Hi Everyone!
My name is Barbara King, and Iā€™m a middle school technology teacher at MS207 in Queens. Iā€™ve been teaching for 17 years, mostly at the middle school level.
I started ā€œtinkeringā€ around with code.org last year and had my school participate in ā€œThe Hour of Codeā€ last December. Weā€™ve explored Scratch and the code.org games. Iā€™m really looking forward to receiving some formal training on coding!

Hi. My Name is Joe Gatti. Iā€™ve taught for 8 years at a middle school in Brooklyn. I do not have much experience in computer science, but I think it is important to integrate this material in our science classes. I hope to learn a lot from this experience, and use what Iā€™ve learned to better engage my students in the field of science.

Hey, My name is Aarif Ali. I am currently a first year teacher in the Bronx. I have limited experience in computer science and I hope this can propel me to the next level.

Good Evening!

My name is Shane Coleman, an introductory physics teacher at the High School for Law & Technology in Brooklyn!

Iā€™ve only been teaching for two years now, but Iā€™ve had a great opportunity this year to lead partnerships with organizations across NYC that wish to afford as many students as possible the ability to access computer science.

Iā€™m originally from Springfield, MA. I did undergrad and grad school at the University of Massachusetts Amherst for Astronomy & STEM Teaching. My access to CS came quickly and harshly as an undergrad, and Iā€™m thankful I get more opportunities to explore the growth of programming with my students!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Tchnavia Merrick and I teach 7th - 8th grade science at Harbor Science and Arts in East Harlem. This is my 16th year teaching and I am excited to be a participant in a program that will enhance science teaching and encourage students to learn more about computer science. I have experience teaching middle school science as well as high school science.
Before teaching, I was a chemical engineer and worked in research at Pfizer so I have some computer science experience but not enough to teach students yet. Again, I am excited to learn something new and share with my students as well as my daughter who is currently in the 5th grade and is a computer science wiz.

Congratulations Kelly!!! How did you hear about the gamming course? I am so interested in games and designing games.

Hi Folks,
My name is Razia Khan. I am an about-to-be 2nd year teacher of Math and Science at Hunterā€™s Point Community Middle School in LIC, New York.

I have taught the Bootstrap curriculum this past year. My advisory students built their own video games using the coding language Racket. For next year, I am thinking of how to merge the curriculum with our current Math curriculum so that I can extend CS education to a larger student population, especially because our school does not have a dedicated technology class.

Similarly, I am excited to learn about how I can teach computer science in Science!

I am looking forward to collaborating with you all to develop an amazing Math and Science program that supports CS education!

Best,
Razia

FYI, if interested, we have an opening for a Math and Science teacher, respectively. HPCMS is an amazing school in its 3rd year! :smile:

Hi Maddie, I get to see some of your work in the Bronx Writing Academy and I wanted to share with you and everyone that you are doing an exceptional job at using technology (laptops) in your instruction. By the time your 6th grade students get to me in the 7th grade they will be ready to dive into coding without a problem.

-Charline Inoa

Hello everyone!

My name is Charline Inoa and I teach 7th grade science at the Bronx Writing Academy. This is my 3rd year of teaching and I am glad to implement computer science into my curriculum in hopes that it would inspire my students, especially the females, to pursue a career a rewarding career in CS.

Hello Shane Coleman,
Pursuing a masters in Astronomy & STEM Teaching sounds very interesting! Astronomy is a topic that is not included in the 7th grade curriculum so I donā€™t get to teach it and I am curious to hear from you how youā€™ve implemented it in your experince.

Hi Kvaughan,
I teach 6th grade Science in Brooklyn, NY

Thanks! I donā€™t remember how I found the class, I think I was just looking at what was available on Coursera.

My name is Miguelina Rosa Lopez. I teach 8th grade science in the South Bronx. Iā€™'ve teaching general science for 4 years now.