Lesson 13 linking screens between students

We can’t seem to be able to get the links to share screens with other students. When we go to My Projects it has an untitled project with no code at all, just a blank screen. I have created a few screens in Lesson 12 step 13 and on my projects it is blank also.
Could someone please tell me what we are doing wrong?
When we get to lesson 13 part 13 there is no screens that they created in lesson 12 so we wanted to import the screen students made.
Suggestions?

From the lesson where students create the screens, they should be able to click the “Share” button to the get URL to share with their team - there’s no need to go to My Projects. If you have a student open the URL from their share button does that also show up blank?

1 Like

We are attempting to import screens as well … students share their screen url from the share button, but when they click on the import button it just sits there and doesn’t import it…

Can you share one of the URLs here so I can test it?

I’m seeing some errors when I try to import - passing along to our engineers to take a look at.

thank you…I appreciate your help!

I am also having trouble with importing screens. However, the screen does import (design elements) but with no code. It would be extremely tedious for every student to have to rewrite the code or copy and paste it between users (my temporary work around) for every screen they import, so I feel certain this is not how it is supposed to work???

When importing screens, the code SHOULD import as well as the design elements- correct??? The project/screen URL I am trying to import is https://studio.code.org/projects/applab/O_A0kKUQhXwtSZxzScXHAVdUm1re9EfY_2HQx0VW4F4

The screen import doesn’t do anything to student code, because we can’t know how two students’ programs should be combined (eg each student may have written code that conflicts with each other).

When my students share their URL and another students tries to import their screens, we get a “project not recognized” message. This has only happened with one group, and I have tried everything I know to do. Can anyone help?

Hmmm … that’s a little strange. Can you try sharing that one with us to see if we get the same error message as well? Any chance that the student who created it has sharing turned off in the class roster settings?

Here’s a link showing you how to check and adjust those settings if necessary.

Let us know.

Mike

https://studio.code.org/projects/applab/Vvdx88noRa985XGSWIvVsLAtFr-sznD5q0g6baObCTE

This is the share link for his project. I have checked the settings and sharing is turned on for all students. I’m sure there is something that I am not seeing. Thanks for your help.

Has more than one group tried to import this particular project? I just tried on a new project I made and I was able to import this project successfully. I’m now wondering if it’s some kind of problem with the project that was attempting to import this one. Have you tried perhaps seeing if this can be imported into a different project? I’ll admit, I’m a little stumped, but hoping we can still help you figure it out.

Mike

Two members of his group tried and were unsuccessful. This same thing happened to another group this morning. It’s really strange. I will keep looking at it and see if I can figure it out.

Thank you!

1 Like

I just realized that I didn’t answer your question. Only the one group has tried to import this project.

Ok… Let us know if you figure it out. I just started with a blank project and it imported fine. I’ll see I can get some other brains on it as well. Others may have more experience with this than I.

Mike

Have you tried asking the students to remix the project, and then importing from the remix?

Or, have you checked whether that group can import a different screen? That is, if group A can import a screen from group B, the group having trouble should try to import the same screen from B. I’d also have A try to import the problematic screen. Basically, let’s try to narrow down where the issue is actually occurring so we know where to target our efforts in solving it.

Keep us posted,
–Michael K.

1 Like