Issues with Importing Screens + Images

Just a heads-up: my classes ran into a lot of issues importing screens when students had used images they uploaded from their computers. We discovered that in the Screen Import menu, they also needed to select “Other Assets” as well. We missed that since it didn’t appear in any of the Code Studio levels in this section.

Even after we did that, we still had some sporadic issues. Does it take a while for the Other assets to show up in their import menu? Do they need to refresh their program after importing Other Assets?

Also - I think the name of this lesson in the forum doesn’t match the lesson in Code Studio anymore…

Thanks for sharing the heads up, I’ve reported the issue to our product team to see if we can find a better approach to making sure that necessary assets are imported along with the screens. As for the other assets showing up, I have seen cases where if the students are uploading larger files it can take a while for them to get copied over. With images in particular you may want to either point students towards smaller images, or encourage them to resize the image in a different tool before uploading.

Hey Josh - thanks for the response. We were able to sort out most of the image issues after regrouping and adjusting our import process. I did notice that if a student has a lot of images and a lot of screens, it’s possible for the import window to extend below the vertical resolution of the website and hide the orange “Import” button that they need to click to continue… I had to zoom out on the website and make the text smaller so I could see the orange button.

I think my lesson is: earlier on in the process, I need to really encourage students to either use icons or use the exact website URL when using images since those images didn’t have any issues.

If you are having issues with importing screens, a teacher at my school (thanks Ms. Robinson) figured out that if you have students click on the link (which launches it in the browser) and have students copy that URL, it typically works.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

When my students are copying the URL and trying to import the screens the import is showing that it is working with the symbol but it never completes. This has happened with multiple students on multiple apps. Any suggestions?

Gina,

Sorry for the delay. I’d always check that the URL the students have gotten the image is isn’t blocked by the school filter. I know my students are clever and go to google images and right click > “Save Image Address” but that doesn’t mean it’ll show through the filter (if blocked). Also this is a good time to check and make sure it’s a jpg or png - students don’t always recognize the image format and sometimes they get some loooong string of a URL that happens to be a thumbnail on a page, not a real image that can be used.

If the image shows in a separate tab and has the jpg or png file extension - and still doesn’t work I’d submit a Bug (top right corner, three menu lines).

Hope that helps!
Brad

2 Likes

I’ve done this too, but it’s not a guarantee.

Hello, I have two students who are completely unable to import the slides of the third student in their group. The one student who was able to import all of the slides, but the other two cannot import hers.
I had them put their share links in a google doc, and use that link to import into code studio. I have also had them check their name spaces for each and there are no conflicts showing up. When they attempt to upload their partners slides, the upload screen disappears and immediately reappears empty with nothing achieved. I have had them check their images but those images are the same as the rest of the teams images. Please advise as soon as possible.

Can you submit this as a bug report? That will allow us to log in as the students and see what is going on. There’s information about their accounts that we might need to help you that we won’t be able to talk about on a public forum.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

HOw do you name the same elements that are found in different slide? The slides are named correctly using the underscore with a different name for each slide, but since the individual elements have the same name, they cannot import their slides