Meet and Greet (CS in Science)

I am Antionette Whorton. I am a Middle School Language Arts teacher. I have no experience with code other than last school year’s hour of code. I am interested in this to see how I can incorporate this into my curriculum.

Hi,
My name is Anthony Tsang. I am a computer teacher in Galileo Scholastic Academy working with mostly 4th-8th grade students. I have taught for 12 years. I have used technology to tie in with science before, but using computer models and programming with science is new to me as well. This will be a good learning experience.

Hello, my name is Whittney Bonfield and I am going into my 8th year of teaching math and science to 5-7th graders in Asotin, WA. This is my first experience with CS and I look forward to this great opportunity!

Good Day Everyone,
I teach 5th &6th Science in the city of Chicago os about 120 students. Our school has participated with Code.org and Starlogo Nova for a year now and I’ve worked with my Computer Science teacher to begin this program so that our students can move into Modules 2 and 3. However, since this was our first year of implementing this program I do not feel that we’ve moved far nor fast. Although, I believe that our students have a good foundation to move forward towards success.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Debbie Standring. I teach 7th and 8th grade Science and I teach a PTLW Robotics and Engineering class as an elective as well, at Joaquin Moraga Intermediate in Moraga, Ca. This will be my 9th year teaching and I am looking forward to learning about computer modeling and computational simulation for the classroom. I am looking forward to seeing everyone on Monday.

Hello! I’m Bonnie Ramsey. This will be my third year teaching middle school English Language Arts in Amherst County, Virginia. I have taught 2 years of sixth grade, and this year I am moving to eighth grade. (I also taught one year of tenth grade, but my heart is definitely in middle school!) Before that, I created proposals for an engineering firm, an exciting and fast-paced job that leveraged my fondness for language balanced in a science and innovation setting.
I have been fortunate that most of my family and friends have some sort of training in science (mostly engineering), and this informed how I learned to tackle real-life puzzles. My interest in CS began with a simple desire to know more about what it entailed, and so I asked a friend. He suggested that I try Code.org’s Hour of Code. That led to my trying the student program in school on Club Day. The joy and engagement that my students exhibited snowballed, and here I am!

Hi Tracy! I also teach 8th graders in Virginia. I also found myself exploring CS after a very positive experience with the kids trying Code.org’s programming. We plan to implement the programming as an interdisciplinary experience for the students, using nonfiction time to expand what the students studied in science, and practicing the specific language and attention to detail and sequence needed for the languages used in programming. My hope is that this approach will illustrate to them a more realistic approach to how they will use what they’ve learned in school, as well as fostering strong problem solving skills, that will serve them well into their adult lives.

Hello, my name is Catherine Brewington. I teach high school physics to 11th and 12th graders at Cosby High School where one of the CodeVA courses is being taught this summer. This will be my 5th year teaching at this school, and 6th year teaching altogether. I am excited about applying coding to my classes, especially because my classes have a mix of students who have no coding experience and some who having been coding for years.

Debbie, I would love to see how you incorporate this curriculum to your classes, especially if you use it with your engineering students. This is one area that I would be interested in using coding, especially if the students are able to control more of the modeling than in a traditional computer simulation.

Hello! My name is Misti Rote, and I teach 8th grade physical science in Yorktown, VA. Being a military spouse, I have had to learn to adapt in my short career. I have taught 6th grade math, 1st grade self contained, and 8th grade physical science in the last three years, so I am excited to be teaching the same subject/grade level for the second year in a row this coming school year. My 8th graders participated in an hour of code this year, and many are taking or have taken some form of coding classes before they get to me in 8th grade. I’m looking forward to using what I learn in this training to help enhance instruction.

Hello! My name is Andrea Bryant. I am a 4th year Physical Science teacher. I just recently passed the Earth and Space Science Praxis. I look forward to learning more with everyone!

1 Like

Awesome to see another 8th grade physical science teacher. Maybe we can share info!!!

1 Like

Name is Greg, I have taught 7th grade science in Indiana for 13 years. We teach mostly a life science based curriculum but has components of blended science models. My wife and I are foster parents and have 2 placements currently in our home, one of which should lead to adoption for us. It’s a hard journey but well worth it. I have zero to no experience with computer science so looking forward to learning through this program

Hi, I am Katie Weyer. I am anxious to start my 11th year in junior high education in just a few weeks. I teach at Tell City Jr-Sr High School in Tell City, IN. I have taught both 6th and 7th grade science, but currently just teach 7th grade. I went to college at Belmont University in Nashville, TN, where I was also a member of the cross country and track teams. At Tell City, I coach the high school girls cross country and track teams. I am married to Nick and we have a son Jack, who is 2 years old. I don’t really have much experience with Computer Science, however, my husband taught a high school class this past year with the help of code.org. I also accompanied him to the training a few weeks ago in Atlanta that code.org put on for the new AP Computer Science Course.
I am anxious to get going and learning a lot - I really think my students will enjoy studying computer science.

Greg, are you going to the training in Indy this week? Hopefully we can all learn the ropes of this together!

I’m Christine Hopkins and I teach at Tuckahoe Middle School in Henrico, VA. I teach 6th & 7th grade life science and physical science.

Hello Everyone, My name is Sharon and I currently teach 7th grade life science (Biology). I am very excited to learn coding with you! Please feel free to reach out to me if you are teaching in my content area. I would love to share ideas!

Hello fellow teachers!

My name is Clarence Booth and I teach at Bedford Middle School. I have been teacher for a total of 6 years and currently teach Technology Education (STEM) to 6th and 8th graders. Before teaching I worked as a computer programmer/analyst for a regional healthcare provider in Central VA.

Hello, Tom Petersen here in Indianapolis. I teach 8th grade Science at wonderful Fishers Junior High.

Hi, my name is Lisa MacAllister. I am a 7th grade Science teacher and Tindley Preparatory Academy in Indianapolis, IN. I am currently starting my 2nd year teaching. My educational background is in Kinesiology, but I have not encountered any CS or coding.