Moving students to '19-'20

My students completed units 1 and 2 last year in the 2018-19 version of Computer Science Discoveries. When I try to move them into the new 2019-'20 version, all their work appears to be reset and they would have to start over. Is there any way to migrate work from one version to the next so they don’t lose all their html website work?

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are running into this issue with our yearly course versions. In this particular situation, we unfortunately do not provide a way to move your students’ work from one version to another part way through the year. We do not support this is because different year versions of the same course are not guaranteed to have the same structure as each other in terms of which units and lessons they contain, so even though CSD 18-19 looks a lot like CSD 19-20, it’s hard for us to build this kind of transfer into our site.

What I would recommend is that you keep your current students on the CSD 2018-19 and switch over to using the latest version of CSD for your next round of incoming students.

If you do decide to switch to the latest version of CSD mid-year, all of your students’ work will still be visible to you in the teacher dashboard, however there won’t be a way for your students to view their past work in the older version of the course. This is because we try extra hard to make sure students stay on the assigned version of the course. We are working on relaxing the enforcement of this a bit, though, so that they could at least view their work if they followed a direct URL to the older course version. Do you think that would solve your problem?

I hope this helps and sorry that we do not currently have the solution you are looking for. Thank you for asking this question, we are always looking for input as to how teachers want to use our site!

Cheers,
Dave

Good morning Dave,

Wow! Thank you for the speedy and thorough response! I’m a facilitator-in-training and just completed the summer workshop. We were bragging on the impressive response record and you have not disappointed.

I COMPLETELY understand the hesitance to allowing students to wander from one version to the other. Part of my love affair with Code.org is the devotion to improvement. I’m not completely sure what you mean about the direct URL but I think that may be the solution.

My biggest concern is the websites students have been working on. A few them have put a lot of work into them. (The ones who didn’t will still complain.) I considered a lesson about copying and pasting all of the code from one year to the next but the process of copying, signing out of one year, signing into another year, finding the appropriate lesson, and pasting with over 500 students, well, it scared me! I can see doing it with a few students who really put the work in but you know they are the ones who wouldn’t mind starting over with something fresh. I love my kids. All different. All the same.

I think what I will do is create a new account for everyone. They will be in different classes this year anyway so I’m actually saving myself the headache of moving each individual. (or I may not - just keep 7th and 8th in 2018-19) I’ll make sure they are aware that last year’s work is still available, but I want to move into the 2019-20 version. I only see my students once a week for the entire year (for 3 years). That’s 36 or fewer class sessions. I have a small group who work on their own or before/after school with me, but for the most part that’s it. I have much to do to improve my practice and my use of Code.org and your assistance is much appreciated.

Thank you so much for your part in Code.org. This is a wonderful resource for me, but a game-changer for my rural West Tennessee students. One of our high school teachers was at training for CS Principles this week, so I’m excited to see how our students take advantage of this new opportunity. Your work, all y’all’s work as we say here, is going to change the lives of so many of my students. Some of my best have no computer at home or no internet at home. It is almost miraculous to see how much they progress at school. I can’t say enough, so I’ll stop here.

Thanks again. The URL could be just what I need. I believe I could generate that my self in the “share” option, right?

Code on!

Jenny

dave
Code.org Staff

July 19

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are running into this issue with our yearly course versions. In this particular situation, we unfortunately do not provide a way to move your students’ work from one version to another part way through the year. We do not support this is because different year versions of the same course are not guaranteed to have the same structure as each other in terms of which units and lessons they contain, so even though CSD 18-19 looks a lot like CSD 19-20, it’s hard for us to build this kind of transfer into our site.

What I would recommend is that you keep your current students on the CSD 2018-19 and switch over to using the latest version of CSD for your next round of incoming students.

If you do decide to switch to the latest version of CSD mid-year, all of your students’ work will still be visible to you in the teacher dashboard, however there won’t be a way for your students to view their past work in the older version of the course. This is because we try extra hard to make sure students stay on the assigned version of the course. We are working on relaxing the enforcement of this a bit, though, so that they could at least view their work if they followed a direct URL to the older course version. Do you think that would solve your problem?

I hope this helps and sorry that we do not currently have the solution you are looking for. Thank you for asking this question, we are always looking for input as to how teachers want to use our site!

Cheers,
Dave

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Previous Replies

doctorj

July 19

My students completed units 1 and 2 last year in the 2018-19 version of Computer Science Discoveries. When I try to move them into the new 2019-'20 version, all their work appears to be reset and they would have to start over. Is there any way to migrate work from one version to the next so they don’t lose all their html website work?

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Jenny Brandon, Ed.D.

Ripley Middle School

Yearbook Advisor

Project Leaps S.T.E.M. Leader

West Tennessee Writing Project, Co-Director and Technology Liaison

jbrandon@mail.lced.net

“Technology is the campfire around which we tell our stories.”
Laurie Anderson

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for expressing your appreciation!

To correct what I said earlier, it does look like it is possible for students to see older versions of the course, as long as they had made some progress in that older version. So if a student has completed CSD 2018-19 Unit 1, then they can see it by going to https://studio.code.org/s/csd1-2018/, or by going to https://studio.code.org/courses/csd-2018/ and clicking on Unit 1. These are what I meant by “direct URL”. These will work for students even after you assign them to CSD 19-20, provided they have progress in the course or unit you are sending them to.

If the projects are the main thing that you want the students to be able to bring with them, then one idea is for students to “Remix” those projects, and then “Rename” them to give them a good name. Then, if they ever click “Projects” in the top menu bar (or sometimes in the top-right menu), they will be able to see their past work. Additionally, any project a student Remixes like this, you will be able to see in the “Projects” tab within teacher dashboard when you are looking at their section.

The “share” option you asked about will give you the link to a single project. that will work too, but it might be a bit cumbersome for each student to manage many of these links.

I hope you can find a way to make things work without the students having to create new accounts, and if you can’t, we’d love to understand what changes we’d need to make in order to avoid that in this situation. Please keep us in the loop with what you decide.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave!

Oh my thank you! This really helps to clarify. I’ll let you know how it goes. School starts in 2 weeks but I’ll be in Dallas with Code for the first 3 days. Lots of planning to do!

Jenny

dave
Code.org Staff

July 22

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for expressing your appreciation!

To correct what I said earlier, it does look like it is possible for students to see older versions of the course, as long as they had made some progress in that older version. So if a student has completed CSD 2018-19 Unit 1, then they can see it by going to https://studio.code.org/s/csd1-2018/, or by going to https://studio.code.org/courses/csd-2018/ and clicking on Unit 1. These are what I meant by “direct URL”. These will work for students even after you assign them to CSD 19-20, provided they have progress in the course or unit you are sending them to.

If the projects are the main thing that you want the students to be able to bring with them, then one idea is for students to “Remix” those projects, and then “Rename” them to give them a good name. Then, if they ever click “Projects” in the top menu bar (or sometimes in the top-right menu), they will be able to see their past work. Additionally, any project a student Remixes like this, you will be able to see in the “Projects” tab within teacher dashboard when you are looking at their section.

The “share” option you asked about will give you the link to a single project. that will work too, but it might be a bit cumbersome for each student to manage many of these links.

I hope you can find a way to make things work without the students having to create new accounts, and if you can’t, we’d love to understand what changes we’d need to make in order to avoid that in this situation. Please keep us in the loop with what you decide.

Cheers,
Dave

In Reply To

doctorj

July 20

Good morning Dave, Wow! Thank you for the speedy and thorough response! I’m a facilitator-in-training and just completed the summer workshop. We were bragging on the impressive response record and you have not disappointed. I COMPLETELY understand the hesitance to allowing students to wander from …

Previous Replies

doctorj

July 20

Good morning Dave,

Wow! Thank you for the speedy and thorough response! I’m a facilitator-in-training and just completed the summer workshop. We were bragging on the impressive response record and you have not disappointed.

I COMPLETELY understand the hesitance to allowing students to wander from one version to the other. Part of my love affair with Code.org is the devotion to improvement. I’m not completely sure what you mean about the direct URL but I think that may be the solution.

My biggest concern is the websites students have been working on. A few them have put a lot of work into them. (The ones who didn’t will still complain.) I considered a lesson about copying and pasting all of the code from one year to the next but the process of copying, signing out of one year, signing into another year, finding the appropriate lesson, and pasting with over 500 students, well, it scared me! I can see doing it with a few students who really put the work in but you know they are the ones who wouldn’t mind starting over with something fresh. I love my kids. All different. All the same.

I think what I will do is create a new account for everyone. They will be in different classes this year anyway so I’m actually saving myself the headache of moving each individual. (or I may not - just keep 7th and 8th in 2018-19) I’ll make sure they are aware that last year’s work is still available, but I want to move into the 2019-20 version. I only see my students once a week for the entire year (for 3 years). That’s 36 or fewer class sessions. I have a small group who work on their own or before/after school with me, but for the most part that’s it. I have much to do to improve my practice and my use of Code.org and your assistance is much appreciated.

Thank you so much for your part in Code.org. This is a wonderful resource for me, but a game-changer for my rural West Tennessee students. One of our high school teachers was at training for CS Principles this week, so I’m excited to see how our students take advantage of this new opportunity. Your work, all y’all’s work as we say here, is going to change the lives of so many of my students. Some of my best have no computer at home or no internet at home. It is almost miraculous to see how much they progress at school. I can’t say enough, so I’ll stop here.

Thanks again. The URL could be just what I need. I believe I could generate that my self in the “share” option, right?

Code on!

Jenny

dave

Code.org Staff

July 19

Hello,

Cheers,
Dave

Previous Replies

doctorj

July 19

Jenny Brandon, Ed.D.

Ripley Middle School

Yearbook Advisor

jbrandon@mail.lced.net

Laurie Anderson

Jenny Brandon, Ed.D.

Ripley Middle School

Yearbook Advisor

jbrandon@mail.lced.net

Laurie Anderson