Pacing guide for CS principles 20-21

Hi all,

Is there a pacing guide available for the new curriculum 2020-2021? Thanks much and appreciate any help or insight.

-Nan

There is a pacing guide on page 3 of the Curriculum Guide

1 Like

I believe that the total number of days is 125. I just did some quick addition from page 2 of the Curriculum Guide that gjschmidt references. I need to complete the course by Jan 22, so for me that means I need to do double-lessons three or four times per week. The key thing is to leave enough time for the Performance Task, because that’s a mandated 12 hours. In these uncertain times, I would rather get ahead of schedule and perhaps have extra days at the end!

@will_wright - 125 lessons is correct. All the lessons are designed to take 45 minutes so for a normal schedule that would 125 days (we are on 90 minute blocks so I cover 2 lessons each day). Unit 8 in the curriculum is the Create PT so the 12 hours is actually built into the “18 lessons” shown for Unit 8 on page 2. You don’t need to add that time.

Yes, I understand… but it is the one activity that you can’t compress, so I always over-allocate days for it in case there is a snow day!

My classes are 60 minutes in duration, and I’ll have 90 class periods by May 5.
I’m trying to figure out a way to pace my course, wondering if I can do ~1.5 lessons per class, or assign some as homework.

Has anyone compiled a list of lessons that go okay as homework?

Any suggestions for my 60-minute class pacing?

I am new to code.org and I will only have 2 trimesters to teach the entire course. ( 13 weeks with 70 min class periods) I am looking at the lessons. If I try and make it through unit 5 first trimester will that put me on track with my students to have them complete the class and be ready for the AP test by the end of 2nd tri mid March?

Update of what I did this year:

• I ended up teaching most lessons in a 60-minute period.
  • I had to assign the Unit 5 Hackathon project (5.13-15) as homework, or to be completed on own if students finished a lesson early in class. This worked pretty well.
  • I’ll skip 7.8 - 7.18 on Libraries in order to start Create PT prep on time.
1 Like

How did that pacing work out? I also will only have two trimesters to teach the entire course.