Phase 3 Implementation Planning

I agree! My six graders are having a difficult time with following all the steps needed in completing the models. I will need to “chunk” the lessons into smaller pieces to allow these students to understand code (logic in the programming).

I still think we struggle with the implementation for all students. Some of our students struggle with getting things wrong. This type of behavior leads to failed attempts at the activity at all. I have tried to model for students that mistakes happen and lead to discovery of all sorts of celebrations. This year, our student population is not as daring as years before.

As we were planning this form, my colleague and I found that we need time to plan our joint project. There were many aspects of the implementation form that we did not think about, and we need time to plan it out properly for our students.

I have definitely found that it takes me more time to teach my students the lessons. We go step by step which I think helps them to be more successful. After we have all entered the basic code, then I leave them on their own to remix and explore.

The course that would have allowed me to teach these modules was taken from me the week before school started. I am not teaching a computer science course or anything related to STEM.
I do not feel ready and am not confident to teach computer modeling.
If I ever get a chance to teach the code.org curriculum, I would need much more practice. Not being able to teach it this year, I can’t remember what we did from one meeting to the next.
I feel that extra help from Code.org (at this time) would not be beneficial, since I am not teaching the material.
I feel that this implementation document was just as frustrating as the last time. Even if I did have a class in which to teach the material, we JUST received the technology at my school the week we returned from Winter Break. There is one cart for 13 teachers. Sign-ups are hard to come by. It’s hard to plan a lesson when you might only have the cart for one day at a time, every other week.

I’m very confident in my ability to teach the coding and debugging portions of CS in Science. My challenge will always be teaching the science in a manner that’s engaging and factually accurate.

I would love it if Code.org lent some helping hands to the SLNova team to make it less buggy and more user friendly. It would help minimize frustration (student and teacher) and help unify the Code.org platform.

1. I am completely confident about being able to facilitate Module 1 and have already done so. I was very impressed at how quickly the students picked up on the nuances of pair programming.
  2. I could use more time practicing different modifications.
  3. I have a PD tomorrow and plan to get some insight on some of the modifications I wasn’t able to get working through the course of this online PD.
  4. It felt a lot smoother and intuitive now that I have taught coding in my classroom and have seen how it works.

I actually took the Hour of Code week to introduce my physical science students to code.org . I feel letting them try the basics there will help them make the transition to using Starlogo Nova easier as they will understand the basic blocks and how they system works. Unfortunately we still have not received mice from the district and the students are unable to use the tablets for this as of yet. The Code was done in a computer lab which we have limited access to so right now this is all on hold. It makes it difficult because if you are not constantly working with this software it is easy to forget how to use it.

I am pretty confident with coding. Practice (and patience) is critical. I gain more confidence with more experience. Differentiation has been a challenge. I find that with my lower kids, more front loading is necessary. But, when their code works, it’s priceless :smile:

Are there any areas where you feel completely ready and confident? I am going to start with the activities from code.org, to introduce my students. I will the have them complete module 1. The activities in code.org will make the transition to star logo Nova a smoother one.
Are there any areas where you could use more time and experience? I think I nee to practice more at home and I will learn by doing.
Is there anywhere that you could use extra help from Code.org? Probably yes, but I am taking it one step at a time.
How did this time feel compared to the last time that you worked with the
implementation document? A little more confident. I feel this program is all about practice

I agree Kris. My students like when they can teach me something. They are willing to share their tech knowledge (which I gladly welcome). It is a win/win situation.

I know that my students are going to love coding. Some of them are already talking about making computer games. I am concerned with my pacing and having enough time to accomplish all that I want to do.

My struggles: I want to become faster at programming. Solution: I need to keep practicing.

Are there any areas where you feel completely ready and confident?
I feeling confident in working step by step to teach my students coding. I have been using other programs for a couple of years now so I am comfortable using the program.
Are there any areas where you could use more time and experience?
I really have been struggling with some of the aspects of StarLogo Nova. I don’t like the idea that I can’t trash any of my old projects. I also would like to set up classrooms so students can look at others. I would also like to to give the user some useful hints not just open socket. That gets very frustrating when you are trying to solve a problem.
Is there anywhere that you could use extra help from Code.org?
Creating a program that can set up classrooms and view other projects easier, like Scratch.
How did this time feel compared to the last time that you worked with the implementation document?
Just a lot of work when I already am teaching many subject areas. This was very time consuming.

What did you realize while you were completing your implementation document?

I realized that I am going to most realistically teach other teachers about these simulations so they can use them for virtual experiments in their science classes.

Yes, because the simulations work but just need to be presented.

If I want to teach the other science teachers how to modify the simulations to their liking, then yes…because I might not be able to answer all of their questions. I could, however, point them towards the GUTS resources, cook book, module instructions, etc.

I don’t think so.

How did this time feel compared to the last time that you worked with the
implementation document?
Better, but I changed my idea from students to teachers.

1Reply

I am ready to get started with my students and to just lead them through with a vision of what they can do. I trust that they will take the bull by the horns and go with it. I think the best part will be letting them figure out how to solve their own problems and celebrating their success when they have struggled through.

One challenge I am realizing I will face is dealing with any accommodations I will need to give a few students and then also having to explain this all to my ELL students. I am not sure what some of the terminology is in spanish. I am certain that we can get through it together as a class.

I have already implemented module 1 and 2. My students’ works have been uploaded to my Google Classroom. I had to break down the module to many simple and achievable goals and objectives. I wish I had more time to develop with my students deeper understanding of CS in science.

How did this time feel compared to the last time that you worked with theimplementation document?

I’m confident that I have all of the tech ready to go.
I need to review the lesson plans again and make sure I understand what I’m going to teach.
I can’t think of any help I might need from code.org
I feel a bit more confident about being able to complete the task.

I am confident that I could implement project GUTS.
I need to review the lesson plans before implementation.
I cannot think of any help at this time with which code.org could assist.
I do feel a bit more confident.

I am finding that implementation takes far longer that the days listed in the guides. It takes courage to have classrooms full of inexperienced students without a whole lot of real world experience attempt activities that I have difficulty completing, but they do give it a good try. I plan to implement Bumper Turtles and then the Chemistry Unit in my 8th grade class within the next month.

I feel completely confident in introducing the skill and the pre-coding activities. I think it will definitely be a “learn by doing” action plan-basically as I am teaching learning what works best for my students and fighting through the modules with them. My students are very tech savvy and will eagerly embrace the challenges of coding and completing their own experiments.

The implementation document seemed to be completed easier this time. I’m just worried about integrating the lesson and the time it takes and how that will fall with my curriculum.