Runs in Text mode, not block?

Has anyone encountered an error where the students’ code will run perfectly in TEXT mode, but when switched to BLOCK mode, code will not run?
Here is what I have done or instructed the kids to do in order to troubleshoot:

  • Refresh page (sometimes works)
    ** Peer review for debugging (2 or more reviews)*
    ** Examining it myself with solution code/examining problem proposed*
    ** Copy/paste code in to a blank project page just to see if it responds the same.*
    I’m sure each case is unique, but I wanted to know if anyone experienced this same issue and if it’s merely a refresh rate issue with the appLab. Thanks! =)

I have not experienced that, but it sounds like something that needs a “bug request”. You can submit those in the top right hand corner. Does that happen a lot to you?

@kim.zocco can you provide a link to a project that does this?

APCSP AppLab Create Task, Unit 8.
Was this ever resolved? I have a student with a similar problem. Student’s code works in text mode, but when try to switch to block mode it won’t saying there is an error, although there are no red boxes or any indication of where the error is. I copied her code into my AppLab and it converted to block mode fine. She has
-cleared cache
-restarted her computer
still same problem

link to project:

I guess not. I would file another bug report so support staff can see what is going on.

The original reply said needs a “bug request”. You can submit those in the top right hand corner.
There is no bug request option in my workspace where this code is - is that because I have 'Remix’d the student’s code? thanks in advance for your help!

The option is now “Report a problem”. You will see it under the “?”

When I try to switch to blocks it tells me “You need to correct an error in your program before it can be shown as blocks.” That usually means something that was typed cannot be parsed by the blocks parser.

Thank you, when I cut and paste just the code alone - it will switch to block mode just fine, so nothing is mistyped.

The project runs correctly - you can interact with the screens and all runs properly.

But, as a project (you can see if you click on the shared project link, “make my own” and “remix” - it will give you the same error

I am not saying anything is mistyped. I am saying it cannot be parsed by the blocks software. When I cut and paste it still tells me it cannot be changed to blocks.

What system are you using, which browser?

MacBook Pro and Chrome

Oh, those crazy Apple guys! Always the practical jokers.

It looks like at some point you opened it up with an editor that didn’t understand proper etiquette relative to line terminators. I used VIM to fix that.

Unfortunately, I went through it and formatted it a bit differently before I figured out it was the line terminators. Anyway, start here and continue.

Oh my thank you sooooooooooo much!!

You rock!


Hi, I just encountered this today, 3/7/22. I have not opened this code in any other editor.

Line terminations may not be the only thing that can go wrong. You may need to post a link to the project so that several people can look at it.

I was able to toggle between text and block mode without any issues.

I believe they said there were extraneous characters at the end of one or more lines (like carriage return characters) possibly from the student copying/pasting from somewhere else. They were able delete them.


Thanks, but this is actually my program, and I didn’t do any copying or pasting… works now though…