Sharing Solutions with Quarantined Students

I’m looking for input regarding limited sharing of Level F puzzle solutions with quarantined students. Our district has been wearing masks and face-to-face since the beginning of the school year, but when a student has to quarantine for 10+ days it is hard for them to stay caught up. I don’t want to just “give” them the solutions, but I also don’t want them to get so frustrated that they quit trying. I’m a first year computer science teacher (with no background in CS) and without access to the solutions there are puzzles I probably wouldn’t have been able to solve.

Thoughts from anyone about whether they think this is a good or bad idea along with ideas for parameters would be appreciated.

I have experienced the same issues. Here are some of the work arounds that work well for me depending on the scenario.

I have created Screencastify videos of some of the more difficult puzzles and posted them to my online classroom. I create short 5 minute or less videos so it is not overwhelming. I walk them through the thought process at the beginning of the puzzle and ask them to pause the video at certain points so they can go and try it on their own based on the few hints I have provided. Then they can come back to the video and continue to the next paused section. They feel like I am there walking them through it. This is good with younger students because they will actually pause and try for themselves. Screencastify is about the quickest way I have found to create, download and repost videos.

I also hold Zoom meetings with students that are at home for whatever reason. I invite them to attend Zoom meetings if they feel up to it so they don’t get behind. I do have quite a few that take advantage of that. This is probably a better option for older students. I share my screen as the rest of the class works through puzzles. They appreciate feeling like they are part of the class and I even call on them. I refer to my groups as online learners and classroom learners. Zoom has features for them to raise their hand, do a high five, clap and indicate if they have a question.

I will admit it was intimidating to teach two different classrooms at one time, but I told the students I am learning too and want to do my best for them. They LOVE that! It did not take long to get a good flow. I make sure my face-to-face classroom is settled and working well before I open the Zoom meeting. Then I can focus on both classrooms at once.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your ideas. I can see where both the screencastify option and “zooming” into the classroom live would do a lot to promote effort, inspire confidence and keep kids from getting discouraged. Bravo to you for managing both online learners and classroom learners at the same time. You’ve definitely given me ideas to think about.