Small changes to make a big difference

This year I really challenged my students to get creative with this lesson. When ever they asked me if it was “good enough” I said “eh… it would be good to get something extra in there…” a lot of students added shading which made it more interesting. Here are some of the examples:

cat Sunset
Flag Dhr
Paint Pik

ALSO, I opened up with this warm-up question today. It lead to some really good discussions about how we encode colors and how changing the bits-per-pixel effects our color choices. I had a student from each team put up their best guess and then I put all of their guesses into the widget. It was good to compare what was too light, too yellow, too dark and which one was closest. The person who was closest explained their reasoning for how they got their answers. It was a really good discussion - I felt like there were a lot of “a-ha” moments in both classes after that warm-up.

4 Likes

I challenged my students for this activity and was impressed with what they came up with. This lesson was organized well. Students had the opportunity to test their predictions in terms of color until one of them found the html rgb color codes link. They still tweaked the colors to get lighter and darker colors. A new appreciation for graphic artists and tools.

2 Likes

What’s the answer…asking for a friend. I think it is 751…

I had my students create flags today. I wanted something easy that they could create on paper first. Then next week I’m going to have them create their favicon after the test.
Student Samples

1 Like

Those designs are really cool, Kaitie. It’s always interesting to see what the kids will come up with with just a little pushing and encouragement.

@mkershaw my answer is 641… I did 104/255 * 15 to get my answer for the red value. I love the student samples, BTW!

2 Likes

Wow Kaitie. Did you use padlet again this year. I still love that idea so all can view.
One of my students today suggested that code.org display different student samples in upper left corner each day. Or use theirs to connect to their account after they are done with project.

Ohh… I love that idea!! I did use padlet - I think it forces students to do cooler things :slight_smile:

My own favicon. Shrug! My students are more creative… at the moment.download

1 Like

I’m curious what sort of ‘roadblocks’ your students ran into.
Some of my students didn’t initially understand the 12 bits/pixel, and I needed to clarify. Also, they wanted to ‘know’ what code for a specific color. I worked at getting them to experiment and to see what happened, BUT remember that the first four bits change red, second four green, and last four, blue. Once they knew there wasn’t a right answer, they were willing to be more creative.

I would agree, my students also wanted to know what the code was for each color. I initially had them play around, but then I finally showed them the “Google color picker” (I don’t know what it is actually called, I just Google “color picker” and their tool comes up. That actually lead to a nice little conversation about those numbers. They could find the “perfect” purple, and then we would look at the colors RGB values. We would talk in terms of proportionality at first (it has about 50% of the total red values, and more than 50% of the blue values and it has just a little green. That would help them guess better values for their own colors when they did 12 bits per pixel.