Suggestions for changes in Lesson 7 Apps and Storage

I just finished the first activity in App Exploration. I feel like the instructions assume our students know what is meant by the “sorting, matching, or counting” method. This should be clarified ahead of time as I don’t even know what those methods mean. Could this activity guide include some explicit instruction as to what these methods are and how a computer uses each type of method? Like, at least give an example or refer back to the card sort activity which I assume demonstrates “sorting.” Or perhaps that lesson (card sorting) could be expanded and include two additional card activities that would demonstrate “matching” and “counting” methods.

Also, in the reflect step of “Ring Silencer” I got more discussion out of asking "Based on the worksheet’s improvement suggestion (only turning off the ringer when the user is silent and not moving) what new problems would be created?

We then were able to think about actual problems the suggested improvement would create–i.e., the phone not being silenced if you got up for a group activity, were at recess, were at lunch, went to the restroom, etc.

That in turn created discussion about how we could address the new problems (for example setting the hours, or entering a schedule of classes)

6 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be a link to the data sheet that is supposed to accompany this activity. It appears in the old version (2017-18) of the curriculum as a student resource in lesson 8. If someone could add it to the new version of the course, that would be great. Thanks!

Hi Jared,

There’s no data sheet it in the updated version. We got feedback that it was too much paper, and so we integrated the needed data into the activity guide.

Elizabeth

I see. I was looking at the answer key, which still references the data sheet. We might want to give a little more guidance as to what “information” the students should process to test their algorithm.

I also was confused by the terms “sorting, matching, and counting” as they relate to processing. I’ve looked at all the resources I can find for the previous lessons and do not see them used. What am I overlooking?

2 Likes

I just had to infer that sorting referred to the process for the card sorting activity where items are sorted (like 1-9 or least to greatest, A-Z.)
Matching I inferred would be sorting by “does the user location match a school location.”
Counting I inferred from the student exemplar where the student says she assigned points to movies based on whether they aligned with the viewer’s interests, etc.

However, I don’t think this is a leap most students could make without explicit instruction. I know code.org’s method is Activity Before Concept, Concept Before Vocabulary BUT in this particular activity—there is no vocabulary to precede OR follow up with.

1 Like

I just finished up Lesson 7 and then 8 - thinking the students had “gotten” it for understanding Inputs/Outputs/processing/storage in Lesson 7 - I found that their app presentations (which I had them create a powerpoint) lacked understanding of the Input/Output/Process/Storage - they were all over the place with their interpretation and description for their app. I really would have loved to have had a few examples/exercises of given Apps and have them identify these elements so they would better understand the concepts - I loved the card sorting activity to start them and the ringer silencer app to introduce the concepts, but because the concepts are so abstract I really think the students needed more examples of Apps and what their I/O/P/S would be to drive home how to really identify these components of THEIR apps that they design…

Hi there! I really appreciate the timeliness of the Code.org staff in answering questions so quickly. Please help ALL of us with the terms “sorting”, “matching”, and “counting”. It would be most unfortunate for us to teach our own understandings of the definition only for our students to move to another teacher who uses this curriculum and have to learn another definition. We should be on the same page. Your response is greatly appreciated.

To second denise.brown–I found it difficult to distinguish between physical inputs (such as mice, keyboards, etc.) and data input (the data/information that a user enters). These terms are used interchangeably quite frequently and I think their understanding, and mine as well, is unclear. Is there a better way to distinguish these terms?

1 Like

I always refer back to the definitions introduced in Unit 1 Lesson 5 for inputs & outputs then refer to the data as input data or output data. Students then begin to use the words information and data interchangeably, but I can handle that.

I feel like this lesson would be well-served with a great Code.org video that frontloads a little. I know the majority of my 6th graders are going to be lost with this lesson unless I do the same. I love the idea of incorporating some sort of matching/counting activities prior to this lesson to help them have some frame of reference to these other methods. In the meantime, I’m working on creating some slides to help them going into this lesson, or I know it’s going to be less meaningful for them.

2 Likes

The format seemed to change in lesson 7. I also don’t think that the students have had enough prior knowledge to tackle the activity. Specifically, I am unsure of the three methods that they refer to . I will walk my students through the activity together. Does anyone know if there is a suitable supporting video. Thank you.

All,

A few Code.org videos that address this (in a round about way): CPU, Memory, Input, Output and What Makes a Computer A Computer? (Unit 1, Lesson 4 video). Hope this helps!

Brad

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing as I read sorting, matching and counting (all important concepts when coding). I will check for understanding of these terms with my 6th graders before giving them the worksheets.

1 Like

What does “mills” mean for the output of the movie app? Is that points?

It’s the name of the suggested movie.

Guess I should’ve read the movie names! LOL thanks!