Teaching Computer Science: Your Plans

My main goal for the classroom is to get my students to connect their love of technology to the important skill of problem-solving and perseverance. I also want to get my students to know how to use technology in effective ways and to be great digital citizens. CS or code.org helps me meet these goals by providing me with lesson plans and an excellent platform for students to work on
I’m most excited about the fun I know the students will have. I also am excited about the different ideas that show me that one doesn’t necessarily need computers to learn valuable computer science skills
The challenges I foresee in trying to meet my goals are challenges most teachers face in the classroom daily. Challenges like burnout, lack of funding, and simple things like a bad internet connection can make a great platform like code.org frustrating.
I am curious about student input in the curriculum. Can any lessons be modified to fit individual student interests? Is there any part of the forums were I can see how different types of students feel using this platform? Are there any ideas for special education?
Thank you for all your help, I look forward to participating.

My goal next year is to help classroom teachers of grades K-2 use Bee Bots to practice basic programming. We will put mats on the floor with pictures or use blocks to build a maze. I will introduce coding using the Pre-Reader Express. I hope that the first lesson “unspotted bugs” will not confuse them when they go to use a bee to program, since a bee is an insect. That’s a challenge that I forsee. I am most excited that first grade teachers can use the bee bot to program a robot to follow a path around a map. Map skills are taught most directly in first grade, I believe. I think getting first graders logged in to Code.org will be challenging, even though you are helping us out with a secret picture being used as a password.

I’m excited to have my students think about their games and apps through a different lens. The unplugged lessons are a perfect way to introduce computer science at the beginning of the year when students haven’t learned how to “use” a laptop, computer, or iPad yet. I also don’t have to worry about having a device for all students since it is encouraged for students to work together on one device under both of their names.
My only concern is weather my school district has certain games blocked and/or if they need to be downloaded as an app in order to use them. For a few hour of code games it was necessary to download in order to actually use the game but my school district has a block on downloading apps. Other than that, I am very excited to begin!

I’m definitely looking forward to bringing some of the unplugged activities into my classroom, especially at the beginning of the year. The concrete practice is a great way to set the foundation for future activities.

I found myself struggling with some of the puzzles and hope that with continued practice, I’ll gain the confidence I need to help - and teach - others!

Honestly,

at this point of the year I don’t have a plan yet.

The plan is to implement the ISTE standard “computational thinking”. Since ISTE partnered up with code.org I was looking in detail at the resources. They would help the teachers to structure their lessons.
The challenge will be to make it a priority, to convince leadership, then to get involved with the curriculum leaders. If it isn’t the priority of the school with all needed professional development and support, teachers won’t be convinced and won’t make any time for it. I’m still wondering how the communication to the teachers will look like. Another question is how can we integrate it to our curriculum and make it meaningful for student’s learning.

I am hoping to improve my CS unit fir my 6th grade science classroom at Coyote Springs Elementary School in Prescott Valley AZ,
This year was my first attempt teaching CS as part of my science curriculum. We used Google’s CS First and Scratch. It was a fun little story telling activity, but I am excited at how the Code.org curriculum has fun puzzles and activities to help get students to think about more complex programming ideas.