Teaching Computer Science: Your Plans

My goals for my classroom are to run one of the age appropriate programs for my students. I teach 1st grade so I would implement one of those courses. I also want to do the unplugged lessons because I think they would be fun for them and help them to understand the coding concepts. I would use the code.org website to assign a program to my students and create logins for them. I am most excited about seeing how students learn coding, seeing their excitement and actually understanding it as a result of this course that I took. A challenge I see would be implementing this in distance learning if we have to. The sharing and teamwork that students would do as a class would be more challenging online. If we are in person, social distancing will make it difficult for students to share devices and work together. A question I have is what ideas do you have for implementing these courses in distance learning with young learners (1st grade)?

My goals for the classroom with coding is to help all my students become comfortable with digital learning and using computers. I want my students to know more on computer science and the careers that they can pursue in the future to guide them on their learning journey. I would also love to have my students use their creativity with coding and creating their own coding sequences that reflect their learning with the code.org lessons.

I am most excited about implementing an emphasis on creating coding and how the students can use their coding sequence. I would also want the students to feel more comfortable using the technology they have and learning more about how to use it to show their creativity. With coding, I feel that students can become more excited about how to use technology to help them create something that could reflect their interests and who they are.

The challenges that I see to meet my goals would be beginning to use coding from a distance with our virtual learning. I would want to introduce certain aspects to help all my students feel comfortable with using the technology they have. It is difficult to do that while the students are not with me. I would want to make sure they have a device and a connection where we could use the coding lessons that they will engage it.

One question that I have is how teachers plan on using the coding lessons from a distance. I would want to know the plan you have on introducing these concepts and how you plan on having the students engage in these lesson in a virtual classroom setting.

• In 3 weeks, we will be having a summer camp offered by our school to all students remotely. I have offered to teach a Coding course, and all students grades 3-5 are welcomed to attend. The Summer camp will be 3 weeks long, with 1 hour sessions every day. I will be offering synchronous and asynchronous tasks form them. During the synchronous times, I will be teaching them using non-technology based activities, that tie into specific skills such as conditionals, and sequencing to help them understand the thinking process needed.

Hi, I will be teaching a Computer Science specials class this year and I plan on using Code.org as a starting place for my Kindergarten through 2nd grade students this coming year, 2020-2021. The instructions are simplistic and encouraging for my younger students. They are well sequenced and will give a great foundation to the beginning of understanding Computer Science.
Michelle

My goal is to use Code.org as part of my computer science instruction in my K-5 exploratory class. I will create class sections so that students are able to login and their progress is recorded. I love that the courses are sequenced and build understanding of computer science even for young children.

My goal is to get more familiar with Code.org so that I am able to introduce and teach my kindergarten students and assist our specials teacher with coding in kindergarten. There will be a huge learning curve with 5 year old students but it will be fun learning with them. I do not have much experience with any coding program but I enjoyed using Blockly.

I would like to introduce the resources and activities in Code.org to my students to get them excited about computer science. I love that all the resources here for teachers and students are very easy to understand and user friendly.

• What are your goals for your classroom? How will CS or code.org resources help you meet those goals? This will be my first year teaching computer science. My goal is to use the code.org to design engaging and efficient lessons that my students enjoy and to help them see the connections to the other disciplines.

• What are you most excited about when it comes to implementing some of these resources? I am excited to do the unplugged activities and to see students then extend and use them for coding in Code Studio.

• What challenges do you foresee in trying to meet your goals? Completing courses and the rest of the curriculum. Balancing CS, robotics, STEAM activities and the PYP. I can see connections between the 3 but I still need to put the puzzle together.

• What questions do you have that this community might help you answer? None right now. I have a lot of information to process at this point. If anyone else is in a PYP school and would like to share how they fit CS into their POI, Iā€™d love to hear it and exchange ideas.

Share with us:

I am really excited about using these lessons to teach coding and computer science, but also to help structure of community of learning. A community that learns together, asks questions, struggles with concepts, and ultimately learns!
I am excited to use the parallel learning strategy with other content areas too. The idea of a driver and a navigator is one that I rely on as an adult (although I didnā€™t name the strategy until I watched the video) while I am learning something new in the classroom or trying something out. I want a colleague to help navigate - so why wouldnā€™t our learners what the same thing?
Very excited about the possibilities for next year, remote or in person - coding will be so great.

My goal is to offer my students material outside of the regular curriculum that I think they will find exciting and useful. Using code.org is they way to achieve that goal. I am very excited to implement more instruction on coding as it is also a part of another program that I use for assessment. I would like to know how other 2nd grade teachers are using the program in their online classrooms during the pandemic.

I love the playfulness that is infused in the Code.org curriculum. We all could use some learning that is fun while also challenging. Iā€™m excited to see if my students catch the spark of individual discovery as they work through the activities! However, as a Librarian, I only see students once a week for about 10-20 minutes of actual teaching time. Has anyone tried teaching these courses in very tight time constraints? Any tips for keeping everyone moving forward?

This class was my very first exposure to coding. I really appreciated how the class took something that seems like a big and scary study and presented it in very manageable steps. It is a program I would be excited to bring into my classroom.

To my knowledge there is no CS that is happening at our school. Since I teach K-2, it would be a perfect place to intrude CS studies into the school with the hopes that the students could continue as they grow in their education.

I am most excited that the curriculum is so clear. I feel like it will be very understandable by the students. The platform is very fun as well, so I have no doubt that there will be great student engagement.

The biggest challenge I foresee in my classroom is a lack of computers. As of now, I only have one computer allocated to my classroom. Teaching in a rural school in Alaska, we do not have much technology available in the school, and what we do have is largely allocated to the older students.

I would be interested if the program is designed to work on mobile devices as well.

My goal for my classroom is to teach computing skills and increase my studentsā€™ confidence with coding and technology. Code.org will help because it introduces coding in a fun and engaging way, with lessons I can use to teach the class. Iā€™m excited about watching my students have fun and discover all the different things they can make their characters do with their coding skills. Some of the more advanced concepts for fourth and fifth grade got difficult for me. I got mixed up trying to get the sprite to turn and draw triangles using variables and loops. I expect my students to get confused and frustrated. I will let them work with partners to try to build their confidence. I am wondering if everyone is choosing to start their fifth graders with lesson F, or if you are going to start them with the lower lessons if this is their first exposure to computer programming.

I am teaching code for the first time. My plan is to keep learning through the summer - next I will do the activities I plan to give to my grade 8 students to make sure Iā€™m confident enough to help them. I appreciate the videos etc that explain things much more clearly than I can yet. I also have a colleague from whom I can get support, and now lots of resources here too. Thanks for the very clear introduction.

We have been using Bootup PD and scratch.com for the last three years. I feel that I have a good handle on it, am increasing my ability to provide quality instruction, Iā€™m getting better at connecting it to other subjects, and my students enjoy it.

The code.org course has exposed me to some different aspects of coding. I especially enjoyed the game playing aspect that many of the lessons had. There were some lessons that I really struggled to understand. I appreciated that the course pushed me in understanding and had to try and fail several times to get it right. That will help me better help my students.

• What are your goals for your classroom? How will CS or code.org resources help you meet those goals?
    I want my students to be a lot more comfortable with coding and computer science in my classroom. I feel this is a great thing for them to be exposed to.
  • What are you most excited about when it comes to implementing some of these resources?
    I think a lot of the topics students will learn while doing this will be tools they will use throughout their lives.
  • What challenges do you forsee in trying to meet your goals?
    I can see there being a lot of push back being stuck at a computer for all of the lessons.
  • What questions do you have that this community might help you answer?
    I teach in a middle school and I feel like most of the kids do not have the necessary skills to do the middle school work. Do you think it would b e smart to have the students do this instead?

Hello CS enthusiasts,
I am about to finish the Teaching CS fundamentals course by code.org. It feels great. I have no background in programming but the course is built for beginners like me. Thank you for this great opportunity.
My plans:
Well, I look forward to teaching coding to primary school children sometime in the future. Currently, I am not associated with any school. I am an IB educator but would like to teach coding either in a school environment or online.
The main goal behind learning this course was to open up my opportunities to teach a subject completely online. Why online mode? I keep moving around the world once every three years.
If anybody has any suggestions for me with regards to finding opportunities for working remotely, I would be happy to read them. I am currently based in Italy.
I also look forward to doing the other professional development courses, CS discoveries but it is not available outside the U.S., right now.
Thank you all.
Deepa George

Hello, Good Day!

I am Bhaskar from India and very much excited to be part of Code.org Teachers Professional learning community. My plan is to start my own school in my region and teach the students coding from the kindergarten level using the available Code studio resources.

Every month I am also planning to host ā€œHour of Codeā€ to other school students, teachers, and parents to create awareness of the coding and the importance of introducing it to the students from the kindergarten level. And I want to be a Regional partner with code.org

To achieve my goals finance will be a challenging part.
I want to hear some challenging experiences overcoming financial problems from these community members, which may help me moving forward.

Thank you, everyone, It is an honor for me to be here,

Best,
BRG.

Iā€™ve been teaching ā€œcomputer scienceā€ for a few years now, but Iā€™ve been focussed on teaching my students how to use different ā€œapplicationsā€. Teaching coding has been on my mind for a while now, but Iā€™ve been so hesitant to start for fear of failing. Virtually teaching and having to modify all of my lessons has actually motivated me to jump in and take a chance. As I was researching different platforms to use for teaching coding, I came across Code.Org. I was impressed by everything. I love how we can sync classes with the LMS my school is using, how the lesson plans are so organized and detailed, how all the materials/resources needed are provided, and I love all the support and additional teaching resources that are availableā€¦too many other things to mention here.

Iā€™m excited about how my students will react to the lessons. I think they are really going to enjoy all the interactive parts. Currently, we are watching and discussing the 6 educational ā€œHow computers Workā€ videos, as an introduction to the course, and I plan to get through as many lessons as possible before the semester to comes to an end. A challenge that I forsee would be timing and that some students may struggle with some of the concepts.

My goals are to use code.org with my library students across all K-5 grades. I will need to have a set aside time to teach these skills and due to distance learning it may prove more difficult. I am very excited to go more in depth with coding lessons and that I can continue to incorporate digital citizenship lessons. I would ask how others are using coding and virtual learning and what successes and difficulties you have come across.