Teaching conditionals

Hola nuevamente Magdalena This concept could also be used with color play. They are given color cards and while playing a melody, a roulette wheel with the colors is turned and depending on the color they remain still without the other participating colors running out of motion and then the concept worked is discussed.

Condicionales: Creo que podríamos explicarlo de que es una forma de dar otra opción al no hacer o tener lo que queremos.

I would relate it to monopoly or choosing board game pieces. You have your favorite color that you try to get whenever you play. But if someone else takes that color or your favorite piece, you’re willing to have a different color or character. When I would play monopoly with my sister, she would choose the race car first before I got a chance to choose. So “if (sister chooses first) then (I pick top hat) else (I pick race car)”.

Explicaría el concepto de condicionantes desarrollando una simple dinámica relacionada con desafíos asociados a condicionales, por ejemplo: quienes completaron su tarea de la semana anterior saltan en un pie, quienes no terminaron su tarea en cambio inventan un grito y una canción, entre otras actividades.

I teach conditionals in physical education often. Students’s major responsibility is to be safe while moving in open space. I will often ask students to walk, jog, skip, hop, etc… in class. I will give students conditionals by telling them to choose their favorite locomotor movement and speed. This offers choice, but displays students ability to choose correct speed (stop, slow, medium, fast) and direction(straight, curved, backward, etc…) based on social conditions (open space, crowded).

This concept of if/then relationships can be applied across many subject areas, so I would capitalize on prior learning to engage students and support their understanding. For example, in teaching reading comprehension strategies, we use Cause & Effect. We could list a few examples from the books we’ve read in class. In science, we see conditional situations frequently: if the water temperature increases, then the molecules move faster; if your body isn’t getting enough glucose or oxygen, then it will not produce energy, and you may have a medical condition. Conditionals are also very frequently presented in math. If x<10, then a possible solution is 4. We could also look at it in terms of behavior expectations. If you turn in your homework, then you will earn a sticker. Following this discussion and brainstorm session, I would introduce the vocabulary term and explain that all of these situations fall under that category. I would then incorporate some movement by playing True/False Tag, as is suggested in Course D: Lesson 10, and have my 6th graders lead the activity.