Teaching events

Buenas tardes, yo también enseñaría a mis estudiantes de primer ciclo, con la propuesta de los vídeo juegos, contextualizando el aprendizaje y que éste sea significativo para ellos. En primera instancia les preguntaría ¿qué ocurre con tal personaje si hacemos clic en el ícono tanto? espero las respuestas orales de mis niños/as y luego hago preguntas similares, con los juegos que ellos nombraron. Posteriormente les comentaría que estos corresponden a Eventos, ya que son el punto principal de entrada del juego y cada objeto o personaje puede responder a un evento externo , cuando pulsamos una tecla o cuando hacemos clic con el ratón o sobre el objeto. O bien un evento interno es decir comunicar un objeto con otro.
En éste momento les preguntaría ¿qué otro Evento podrían nombrar aparte de los que ya han sido mencionados?
Los invitaría a jugar con el “control de papel” sugerido por Code (actividad desconectada).
Finalmente, refuerzo y aclaro que mientras en la programación secuencial (o estructurada) es el programador el que define cuál va a ser el flujo del programa, en la programación dirigida por eventos será el propio usuario —o lo que sea que esté accionando el programa— el que dirija el flujo del programa.
Por supuesto, terminaría compartiendo con mis niños/as un vídeo sugerido por code o bien https://youtu.be/p4CvPQUG2JQ

Le explicaría que un evento es una reacción a una acción realizada.

Para la aplicación de eventos primero explicaría el concepto y como se aplica con un ejemplo concreto, luego aplicar actividad desconectada para concluir en que los eventos son reacción de respuesta automatizada ,los estudiantes siguen instrucciones en la confección de un circuito eléctrico con acciones que se aplican con:
1 bocina: inicio
trompeta: presentación primer avance
violin: presentación segundo avance
2 bocinas: unión de conectores y fuentes del circuito
3 bocinas termino de trabajo

Los video juegos son de mucho interés y manejo por los estudiantes y permiten complementar esta estrategia de aprendizaje de forma efectiva.

Les explicaría a los educandos que los eventos están destinados a hacer que un programa de computadora sea más interactivo, además que un evento es algo que esperamos que pase.

Explicaría el concepto de eventos con las distintas rutinas diarias que los estudiantes viven a en el colegio, como la hora de entrada, colación, entre otras. Haría una dinámica de eventos relacionados con unas tarjetas de eventos y un movimiento corporal asociado

Considero que el usar video juegos será mucho más fácil ya que se relaciona con los conocimientos previos de ellos

Un evento es una acción que provoca que algo suceda, estos permiten dirigir acciones, un ejemplo simple es: clic en el mouse, toca la pantalla, presiona cerrar y en la vida cotidiana abrir el refrigerador, encender el hervidor, presionar inicio en un ventilador, etc. Una forma de introducir el concepto de evento es usar como ejemplo un video juego del interés de su edad o uno más simple como Pacman, donde los estudiantes podrán relacionar una acción con la evento.

Hola , Lavín estoy aprendiendo sobre el tema , me parece una tremenda herramienta ,la forma en como presentas los conceptos , púes la utilizaré y aplicaré con mis alumnos.
Púes mis alumnos tienen 0 noción de programación así que debo comenzar con el curso A luego avanzar progresivamente.

I like the idea of examining cause and effect with dropping a ball or relating it to a science topic we’re going over or a part of our reading material. Then I’d describe to the students how in a program, you can describe your own cause and effect.

In gym class, we talk about all the skills needed to play and rules that help facilitate the game -dribbling, shooting, scoring, jump ball, passing, stealing, defense.
I let kids know these are all events - something always happens when you perform them.

Any time you can introduce a concept in the form of a game students enjoy, the more engaged they are in the learning process. learning and having fun!

I like how the unplugged event lessons in Courses B & C introduce the topic by referring to real-life events such as a doorbell ringing, an alarm going off, using the TV remote, raising your hand to answer a questions. I would begin with these and reiterate the difference between an event such as a party, and an event when coding.

With my 6th graders, this would be a great introduction and then I would relate it to something they understand and care about: video games. Knowing my students, the conversation would immediately take off and get them excited. We would then switch to the game with buttons, but I would refer to it as a video game and I am holding the controller. I would allow them to choose the responses to the different buttons and we’d practice as a class.

In Course C, we learned that events can be taught in an unplugged lesson by introducing a paper remote with various buttons. Each button, when pushed, tells us to perform a certain action such as yelling “yay!” or “boom!”. The remote can be used to interrupt another activity, such as singing a song or counting to ten.

I liked this idea and thought it would work well in my 3rd grade classroom. As an alternative to this activity, I thought of some other school-based familiar events that happen periodically throughout the school year. For example, we could practice verbalizing what happens when different events happen for announcements/alerts in our classroom.

• What happens when the fire alarm goes off? This is an event in which we all quietly get up from our seats and head outside to our expected place.

• What happens when our principal comes on the PA system in the morning? This is an event in which we stand up and say the Pledge of Allegiance.

• What happens when the telephone rings in our class? This is an event in which the teacher will jump up and walk over to answer it.

All of these events can interrupt another activity such as circle time, independent reading, etc. I would then have the students brainstorm other classroom events that happen on a regular basis. I would further challenge students to describe what happens after each of these events and what activities they might interrupt.

I think this would be an engaging lesson as it is something with which all the students have ample experience–they have been doing fire drills, hearing PA announcements and listening to the phone ring ever since they began school!

For first graders I’ll want to keep the events simple, concrete, and from their likely experiences. Raising hands to be called on, or using hand signals to get your dog to shake or get down are two examples. The remote control for their TV or the buttons of an elevator are others. Then I can link those ideas to events from coding, such as a mouse click.

“How would you explain the concept of events to your students?”

I am a K-6 Substitute Teacher, with most of my experience being in 1 - 3rd grade. We have events that happen at home pretty regularly (ie: phone rings/dings alerting us to a call, text, or email, doorbell rings alerting us someone is at the door, oven timers go off, etc.). We have them at school, too: bell rings indicating recess is over and it’s time to line up by the door, fire alarm goes off to let us know we need to calmly and safely evacuate the building, intercom buzzes to let us know our principal is going to make an announcement and we should be quiet and listen. All of these things are events - something that happens that makes something else happen. In Coding, events tell your program to listen for when something happens (ie: mouse click, up or down arrows are pressed, etc.) and when it does, the program will perform an action. Talking about events in Coding makes me think of cause and effect, which is something most of my students are very familiar with.

Hi everyone! I am a third grade teacher in Edmonds, Washington.
I really like how the unplugged lesson for second graders is written. It is simple, yet detailed enough for the students to understand what an event is. As stated in the lesson, it is important to remind students that we aren’t talking about events like birthday parties or BBQ’s… rather, we are talking about everyday events.
I would teach my third graders about events by incorporating technology into it. My students love watching TV, Netflix, and playing video games. If students get a chance to talk about what they are interested in, then they are so much more likely to be engaged! I begin by having them talk about what type of events occur while playing a video game or watching TV (having to turn on the TV/console by pressing a button on a remote, pressing buttons on the remote to get you to your show/game.) After discussing events, I would then show the Bill Gates video about naming events and relate it back to coding and programming!

As a fifth grade teacher with a large EL population, I would first demonstrate what an event was by just asking the students a question that would require them to raise their hand to be called on. An example could be: What did you eat for breakfast this morning. The students would have to raise their hand in order for me to call on them. After doing this exercise, I would introduce the word “event” and have them repeat it and tell them that an event causes something to happen . I would then repeat the exercise, this time breaking down the actions. After asking my question, I would again call on someone to answer the question. I would ask them how they knew each of them wanted to be called on. After the response that they raised their hand, I would then explain that raising their hand was and “event” which caused me to call on them.
We would brainstorm some ideas to practice to reinforce the concept of “event.”

I would teach the concept of events to my first graders by facilitating a conversation about the types of events they see in their lives, and what happens when those events are detected. Ideas such as raising a hand, clicking on the remote control for the television, or a mouse click, are to be explored.

I would explain that events are what happens when triggered by an action.