The Theater outside of Code.org

Hey everyone,

At my Academic Year Workshop this past week we looked at the final project for Unit 4. We thought that the project might be a bit more involved than we have seen up to this point, especially considering the exemplar provided.

To that end, I spent some time to make a library version of the Theater that can be used offline. You can download the package from GitHub here. There are also links to projects in Eclipse, BlueJ, NetBeans and IntelliJ that you can copy and provide to your students, or you can copy those project repos to use with GitHub Classroom to introduce full version control.

I’d say that the library is still “pre-release”. I think it’s complete but students are great at finding bugs. Please let me know.

2 Likes

This is awesome, Brian! Thank you for sharing this resource, it looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it.
I have a TA who is awesome at finding bugs, I will set him loose on these resources and let you know what he thinks.
-Lindsay

Brian, Thank you for putting together and sharing it. At our school we are limited with resources and students are using Chromebooks. I wanted to see if I could get this to run on Repl.it instead so they could use a Web IDE instead. Here is a link to view the code in Repl.it and I was hoping you could help me understand why the resources are not found. Thank you!

Link: Join MrDGuy's "Theatre with Help from Community" - Replit

Hello! I don’t have good access to repl.it from my district, but I was able to see that the program is not running inside a .jar when it is being compiled so the resources need to be in the root folder of the repl.

I moved the pngs to the root folder and the fonts and instruments folders there as well. Now the program compiles and starts, but I’m not getting any output. That could be due to network blocks or something else. I can’t really tell from here.

1 Like

@dahlem_brian - Hi Brian, I am going to send your questions to the curriculum team. They may be able to help you with this quesiton.
Sylvia

Brian, Thank you! The MyShow runs now. I am unable to run the playSound(“beatbox.wav”) method and I think it may be because of a missing sound package. Thank you for your help!

1 Like