U2 Challenge Decisions

I will be working on the tower building lesson.

BinaryLessonDays10-12.docx (5.5 KB) Binaryworksheet1.docx (4.9 KB) 2014Binaryworksheet2.docx (75.3 KB) battleshipslinearbinary.docx (14.6 KB)

I will work on the minimum spanning tree lesson.Marling-Unit 2 Challenge

I will be working on lesson 13-14 - linear and binary search algorithms

I will be working on Lesson 15-16 Sorting Algorithms

I will be working on day 10-12 binary.

I will be working on the final project for unit 2.

I complete the Binary counting lesson (day 10-12). I created large flash cards for the students to hold up in front of the class. We talked about when a number is “on” or “off” and the clues of “odd - ending in 1” or “even - ending in 2”. Then they worked with a partner to complete 1 worksheet. After reviewing that they worked individually to complete another sheet. They checked their answers with their previous partner and then we reviewed as a whole group. I asked for volunteers to demonstrate their answers on the Smartboard.

I worked on the Binary counting lesson (day 10-12). I first created large flash cards for the students to hold up in front of the class for a large group discussion. We talked about when a number is “on” or “off” and the clues of “odd - ending in 1” or “even - ending in 2”. Then they worked with a partner to complete a worksheet. After reviewing that they worked individually to complete another sheet. They checked their answers with their previous partner and then we reviewed as a whole group. I asked for volunteers to demonstrate their answers on the Smartboard.

I will be doing Binary days 10-12.

I think that I would like to work on the sorting activity as a challenge. This section is the most demonstrable to introduce the algorithm as a concept. As we move further into programming as a problem solving method, sorting and decision trees will be important. I want students to have a solid understanding and feel confident in moving forward with the development of a variety of algorithms.

We are way past unit 2, but I’ll submit the minimal spanning trees as my less.

I will be working on the minimal spanning tree lesson from day 17.

I will be working on Day 15-16: Sorting Algorithms

Challenge-Unit2_BinaryNumbers.docx (31.8 KB)

I will be doing sorting, as I feel that I have a great approach for teaching it using sorting playing cards.

Challenge 1: Sorting

UNIT 2 TEST.docx (318.1 KB)

I created a Unit 2 assessment before code.org came out with their assessment. I have reviewed the assessments that have come out lately and for my class those assessments would be too easy. If your students are a little more advanced or are picking up the information better than you thought, you are welcome to use this!

2 Likes

I am going to extend the binary number system lesson for my challenge. Students will present; students will also answer extension questions on bases other than 2 and perform addition and subtraction with binary numbers.

Thanks for sharing Melissa! Always great to have more assessment options! If you want it would be great if you shared it in the ECS Resource Folder.

Code.org ECS Teacher Resource Folder
Folder: http://bit.ly/code-ecs-teacher-resources
Submit Resources: http://bit.ly/submit-resource
How To Guide

I put it on the google drive with ECS and I also put it on the CS10k site… not sure if this is the same…