U3 Day 5: PD Discussion Topic

U3 Day 5: PD Discussion Topic

I plan on rolling the strong and em tags into a continuation of the students’ basic web design practice lessons.

The strong and em tags will just be introduced as we get to them in the curriculum. I think the students are going to love html to create web pages and I can foresee students taking it upon themselves to look up tags and try them out. I think all I will have to do is tell them about them and they will be able to implement them with no problems.

I will have the class start with a simple HTML page that address the heading, paragraph, break, bold, italic and font tags. Once the students understand the “how to” use HTML code and know how to get code resources , the rest is design work. I’ll have them create a design & let that guide them.

I plan on building upon other basic HTML tags that have already been covered. I will have them duplicate the sample demo HTML text and then come up with their own example of the em and strong tags.

I taught this lesson by having the students continue to practice with their story board by adding new tags. The students really enjoyed the gallery walk and they wrote 2 likes and 2 wishes about their classmates work.

I plan on capitalizing on the students interest in creating interesting webpages as we continue learning HTML in this lesson.

We have a full year course in our building on HTML and java script, so I am pulling my hair out over this lesson. The kids that have the year experience do not see this unit as a chance to build their skills and grow beyond what they learned last year. They see it as a waste of time. I’d hoped the more experienced kids would help mentor the new students, but it pretty much turns into screw around hour.

A large number of my students have already taken web design in our building, so I plan to have those students “teach” a lesson or two using these tags, and more. Maybe they have a favorite activity they did in web design, or collaboratively we will come up with one they can teach the class. They will be our “go-to” students for those who need extra help. I also plan to continue with the Code Academy site at this point by projecting it and we can go through it together, since I am also new to html.

1 Like

yikes! that sounds tough to deal with @dzulkiewski. I had 2 students who already knew html before taking my class. I gave them a different assignment. I usually differentiate to make topics easier, but in that case, I made it harder for them, a lot harder!
I had them build a website, then I kept on asking them to add things to the website when they were finished. I made sure that I was asking them for things that they had to research, like the Drag and Drop Function for example. This way I was able to see some learning happening.

My plan is to allow my students who have used tags to teach their peers that are less familiar with tags. I will probably spend two days on this because I have a few students who are new to my class, and they will need to be encouraged to take the risk without me holding their hands.

I think that providing students a block of plain text where they will have to make formatting decisions to make the text look presentable would be a good idea. Afterwards, they will implement the same methods of placing tags on their own personal webpages.

I foresee students being able to mark text to make it look right easily enough. I’m guessing, however, that the real challenge will be that they are able to know when it is appropriate to use one tag versus another.

Greetings

My plan is to show the students a sample webpage written with an older html format and ask them to use the new tags to change the page and make it their own. They will work collaboratively as we did in the summer.

I spent some time discussing the change in tags to facilitate screen readers for the blind.

This lesson will be incorporated with the previous lesson as students will move quickly though these beginning tags.

1 Like

If they can prove that they know the theory, move on to challenging concepts. We are moving to personalized learning and project-based learning where the students are taking charge of their learning. You can provide a menu of requirements for your assignments as a teaching strategy, as well.

Student interest plus some of the basics of webs, a home page, blog page, etc. etc.

I would provide the students with tags that they can stick on the board so they can demonstrate what html tags look like for the entire class. I would spend one period going over tags, but revisit often and as needed throughout the unit.

Students have already come across the strong tag through code academy. I will add these two tags to a board of html tags we have in the class when we get to this part of the curriculum and require students to add these to their websites they are developing towards the final project.