Unit 3: Self-paced vs Teacher led

I just started on Unit 3 in CSD for my 9th and 10th graders. I am having a hard time trying to figure out what is best. I know this curriculum is built for the teacher to act as the coach and not the leader, but some of my students are struggling with this. How do you teach Unit 3 (or even Unit 2 - Web Development)?

Do you do some lessons with them initially?
Do you give them a goal to get to by the end of the day, week, month?
Do you introduce the lesson they should be working on that day and let them go, or do you do the lessons as a class?

I am on a block schedule so my classes are 90 minutes long. Just looking for ideas as to how other teachers are doing it and what’s working for you.

Thanks!

Hi @joe_padon!

I kept my students at the same pace. I would introduce the lesson we working on for the day and complete it as a class (We only had 45 mins periods). I did this because I felt it was important for my students to have small group discussions then whole class discussions on what they were learning. This helped me gauge how much they were actually learning rather than just relying on green bubbles. In terms of pacing, I had my students who finished faster coach others who were struggling a little.

I’m interested in what others are doing as well!
Please share out!

best,
Kevin