Unit 7 Lesson 6 - Issues with Images Loading

The images of the skyline, seal, and flag are not being displayed in the States App in my Libraries Investigate Lesson for my students. When I try to view the image by visiting the url for these images from the dataset, I am getting a message that the certificate is not valid. I am thinking this is an issue with my school’s webfilter so I added cdn to my trusted sites and can view the images in a separate tab, but the images fail to load on the app’s screen. Any advice?

Hi @cmquill Thanks for bringing this up! I’ve reached out to the organization that hosts these images and they plan to fix this issue today. Please let me know if these image URLs continue to give you any trouble!

1 Like

I noticed yesterday in prepping for today’s lesson. Thanks so much for your help with this! It works great now!

1 Like

Same issue as of today, 3/3/2023. Help!
ck

1 Like

Greetings,

There was an issue with the state dataset that arose at the end of last week. The team worked on Friday afternoon to update and fix all of the image issues that were occurring. I hope that by the time you read this message, that the fix will have gone live and state datasets and accompanying app can be used once again.

Cheers,
Erik

Still not working as of 3/7/23. Neither is the “Report a Problem” page - just will not load. I’ve tried multiple browsers, restarted my computer, etc.

Greetings Joe,

Sorry to hear that it is still not working. I assisted some team members with getting new Creative Commons licensed images into a dataset and then uploading them onto the server last Friday.

Unfortunately, it can take several days before a change that we make on this end goes out live. It appears as though this might be the case. I know that having that dataset going down is less than ideal-- but know that the fix is in the queue! Hopefully it will go live today, or tomorrow at the latest.

Cheers,
Erik

I messed around with it and got it to work. There seems to be an issue with the stateFlag library function. I deleted the library function in the onClick Event. I put the library function code below the onEvent and called the stateFlag function in the onEvent "clickButton…and it works. Here is the code below.

Unit 7 Lesson 7 Bubble 1 isn’t working either but I haven’t messed around with it yet.

// set up the variables
var state = “”;

// gets the state name from the user
// sets up the screen by calling library functions and passing through the state name as an argument
onEvent(“clickButton”, “click”, function(){
stateFlag(state);
state = getText(“stateInput”);
setText(“stateOutput”, state + " - " + StateLibrary.stateAbbreviation(state));
setImageURL(“skylineImage”, StateLibrary.stateSkyline(state));
setImageURL(“sealImage”, StateLibrary.stateSeal(state));
setImageURL(“flagImage”, StateLibrary.stateFlag(state));

setText(“stateInput”, “”);
});
function stateFlag(stateName){
var allStateNames = getColumn(“US States”, “State Name”);
var allStateFlags = getColumn(“US States”, “State Flag”);
for(var i=0; i<allStateNames.length; i++){
if(allStateNames[i].toLowerCase() == stateName.toLowerCase()){
return allStateFlags[i];
}
}
}

1 Like

The images are still not appearing for me despite using this code… @erik_dillaman Is there any update to this issue?

Greetings,

Whenever a change like this gets pushed, it is necessary to select Start Over in the Version History (see image) in order to get the page to update with the new image entries in the States dataset.

Here is a sample project that I quickly put together that is able to pull an image from the dataset. Are you able to see the Texas flag in this project?

If, after resetting the version, the dataset still doesn’t work for you, then please reach out to support@code.org.

Thanks,
Erik

Starting over worked! I didn’t realize that was required. Thank you for the quick response!

I have emailed them several times about this. They did fix the cat one in the unit and said they would get the states fixed but it has not happened yet.

I guess I just got lucky with my fix lol.

David,

Just curiously: did you reset the version history as I outlined in my post above? That should implement the fix within the library.

Thanks!
Erik