Video as a source in Explore PT

We are working on the 1-pager in Unit 4, and talking a lot about the Explore PT. A student asked if one of his sources can be a Youtube video. I immediately said “sure”. Since on-line sources are allowed, and since “expert interviews” are allowed, it seems a natural next step to allow an “interview” in video format. For example, many TED Talks are more informative on certain aspects of computing than any on-line/print source. And if there was a video interview with Bill Gates about how Microsoft manages big data, would that not be an appropriate source? What are your thoughts?

By the way, this has been asked a couple times on the CB forum for CSP without any cogent responses. Very disappointing in comparison with other CB forums that I am used to.

@windjc

My thought would be that if there is no specific exclusion of videos as a source, then it can be used. Moreover, both APA and MLA have a citation format for online videos therefore I see no reason why recent and authoritative sources that happen to be videos could not be used.

my $0.02,
Andrea

@windjc According the to the Purple Book Page 110 released from the College board.
References guidelines are as follows:
2e. Provide a list of at least three online or print sources used to create your computational artifact and/or support your responses through in-text citation to the prompts provided in this performance task.

At least two of the sources must have been created after the end of the
previous academic year.

For each online source, include the complete and permanent URL. Identify the
author, title, source, the date you retrieved the source, and, if possible, the
date the reference was written or posted.

For each print source, include the author, title of excerpt/article and magazine
or book, page number(s), publisher, and date of publication.

If you include an interview source, include the name of the person you
interviewed, the date on which the interview occurred, and the person’s
position in the field.

Include in-text citations for the sources you used.

Each source must be relevant, credible, and easily accessed.

My interpretation of the guidelines is that they prefer print or written sources. I agree with your premiss and @anmrobnott $0.02 that videos should be allowed as a credible resources. However, since the decision makers have not made an amendment or answered the question, I would encourage your students to use video as a final option if there are no up to date written sources.