Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hi,

I’m Michelle Friend, a new K-5 affiliate. I live near Stanford University, where I’m a PhD candidate in the Graduate School of Education. I study computer science education, particularly how girls get and stay interested in computing. Before Stanford I taught computer science at The Girls’ Middle School for ten years and before that I was a system administrator. (People who know small schools will be unsurprised to learn that I was also the Director of Technology for quite a number of my years at GMS!) I am also a founder and former President of the CSTA, though my responsibilities as a PhD student have kept me from being particularly involved in the last few years.

For the past four years I’ve been involved in a program with Jonathan Osborne, training elementary and middle school science teachers to incorporate literacy and discussion practices in their classes. We even created a MOOC this year, on the NovoEd platform - it will run again next year and I’d highly recommend it - I’ve learned so much from Jonathan about the challenges of science texts (including computer science) and how to foster productive classroom discussions.

Hi everyone! My name is Lisa Molyneux. I am a new K-5Affiliate from Mobile, Alabama which is very near the Gulf of Mexico. I am one hour from the most beautiful white sand beaches. I just had my second anniversary with the most wonderful husband ever, and together we have seven children. I have four from a previous marriage and he has three, also from a previous marriage. Thank goodness they are all older, 19-24! We have two that are working, one applying to medical school, a senior and sophomore at the University of South Alabama, a senior at Auburn University, and a sophomore at the University of the South in Sewanee, TN. I have been in a full time Technology Support Teacher position in my district for six years and my background prior to that was Early Childhood (K-1st). My experience with Code.org has been limited to a few of our classes and then last year our whole school participated in Hour of Code. One of my partner teachers worked with a small group this year and used Code Studio, but I want to learn more about it and teach our teachers and students this valuable skill. I’m looking forward to the training in Chicago!

Hummm…my favorite ice cream flavor…CHOCOLATE! Is there ANY other flavor?

Hi everyone
My name is Karen Auton. I live at Nth Curl Curl on the Northern Beaches of Sydney Australia. I am the computer teacher and coordinator at Curl Curl Nth Primary School. I am planning on teaching coding to my year 5 and 6 students (10 to 12 year olds) this term once I have done the online myself.

My name is Robin Ricketts. I am the JK to 12 Academic Coordinator at a school in Richmond, VA, USA. We are exploring ways to bring coding into all of our classrooms. I am interested in learning best practices for teaching coding and I am also interested in what languages other schools are using. I have been using Scratch for about five years and this past year we included ScratchJr for our kindergarten through second grade students.
Our school has participated in the Hour of Code the last two years. Some classes used the code.org as a resource for this.
I have five cats and I like chocolate chip ice cream.
I am looking forward to “meeting” others who have a common interest is bringing coding into our schools.

Hello. My name is Mauricio Knob and i live in Brasil.
I’m graduated in Computer science.
My goal is to tech the youngest how to programing computers.
I am not affiliate because here doesnt exist affiliates :unamused: but i will try to solve this problem.
I also make some games to help kids with special necessities to improve their learning habilities.
Nice to meet you guys!
My english vocabulary is very short so i’ll stop whriting right now hehehe!

My name is Tracey Sconyers, and I am a new K-5 Affiliate based in Seattle. I currently teach technology classes at Lakeside Middle School, and have taught classes at the high school and community college level as well. Teaching is a second career for me. I hold a master’s degree in Computer Science, and spent 15+ years as a software developer in Austin and the SF Bay area before moving to Seattle in 2001. I started teaching Java classes as a ‘stop-gap’ position while looking for work, and ended up falling in love with teaching and advocating computer science literacy.

My primary interest at the middle school level is to help students and fellow teachers integrate technology, coding, and computer science concepts into their curriculum and into their arsenal of everyday tools for problem solving. I firmly believe that middle school is a particularly effective place to expose girls and students of color to computer science and computational thinking, while they are actively exploring how they define and view their own strengths and capabilities.

My name is Stephen Harvey and I’m a 5th grade teacher in Washington State. I’m checking out code.org as a very possible addition to my classroom next year.

SueAnn Maclachlan, looking to implement some form of coding during enrichment hour at my school for K-3 learners. I’ve had some experience with coding at the middle school level, but need to learn the basics if I’m going to teach it.

Hi! My name is Kim Broadbent and I work in Provo, Utah. I am excited to be a part of this community because I like connecting with people who have similar interests! I love technology and teaching and learning! I train teachers on the most effective ways to use technology tools in their classrooms and in their lessons.

My favorite ice cream is Blue Bell’s Buttered Almond. However, since they don’t have that kind everywhere, I also love Blue Bell’s Pistachio Almond and Blue Bell’s Peppermint ice creams. In my opinion, Blue Bell is THE BEST there is!

Hello everyone, my name is Djuana, I am in Houston, Texas. I teach middle school Science and STEM electives. CS is a new area that I am excited to get into.

I too believe Blue Bell is THE BEST there is!!!

Hello Everyone,

Integrating Technology is both paramount and fun. :smile:

Lu Ann
Orlando, FL

1 Like

Hello!!! My name is Jose M Torres Ortiz I’m a teacher at the Colegio Hispano Americano in Manati Puerto Rico. This year 2015-2016 we are implementing code studio curriculum in our school.

Hi, my name is LIndsey. I am about to begin my first year as a teacher – I’m both very excited and very nervous! I will be teaching 7th grade life science (integrating computer science) and social studies at a public K-8 school in the Chicago Public Schools district.

I worked as a computer programmer for a year and a half before deciding to switch careers. However, I have never formally taught computer science. I’m interested in becoming a part of this community in order to give and get support as a first year computer science teacher. Granted, I expect to be doing more learning than teaching in this setting at this time! :blush:

I love the outdoors. I’m interested in how computer science can be used to help us explore the natural world around us.

Hi, I’m Laurie Lecours. I am the gifted teacher at an elementary school in St. Louis Missouri. I’ve been teaching for 22 years. I’ve taught in California and Missouri. My students were introduced to code.org by our librarian last year, so I’d like to enhance that in my classroom.

Hello. My name is Cottey Greene. I work at Sheridan High School in Sheridan, Wyoming teaching science. I’m EXTREMELY curious and interested in learning how to code. I would like to incorporate coding into my curriculum. It is fantastic that this introduction is offered for teachers. I also appreciate the networking community for posting comments and questions. There is so much to learn from interacting with others!
@cotteygreene

Hej! (That’s ‘hello’ in Swedish- pronounced “hay.”) My name is Sarah McFadden, and I’m currently teaching grades 4 and 5 math in English in a Swedish school just outside of Stockholm, Sweden. I’m interested in being a part of this community because there is not any professional development near me that involves being an educator and implementing code in the classroom, at least, not in English. :wink:

For the last few weeks, I’ve been perusing various coding research and articles, looking into different websites that involve teaching coding to kids, and attempting to lay out a plan that will make sense in the grade 5 math classroom. That’s all the coding experience I have. (Well, that and playing Course 2 on this website.)

I’m open to any ideas you have, as well as general conversation about education. Can’t wait to learn more about coding and see what others here are doing with it in their classrooms!

Hello,
My name is Laurie Swink. I teach technology to the primary grades in Kentucky. I have been teaching for about 10 years. I tried code.org at the end of the previous school year with grades K-3 and I really loved it! I am attending a PD soon to learn more about implementation.

Hello, my name is Kenneth Williams and I have been teaching middle school for 8 years. I teach for Prince George’s County Public Schools in Maryland, outside of Washington, DC. My first four years of teaching, I taught mathematics; for the past four years, I have been teaching a course called Gateway to Technology. I hope to share my limited CS knowledge and learn more from all of you.

Lindsey, thank you for taking on the challenge of teaching. I hope learn to take the good with the bad in education. You will be shaping lives for the better. I am sure you will do well!

Hi Folks,

My name is Nicole Reitz-Larsen and I am a K-5 affiliate in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I’ve been in secondary education for 15+ years teaching everything from German to Accounting, Financial Literacy, Microsoft Office Applications, Multi Media, Exploring Computer Science, Programming and much more. I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to work with Code.org as a District Manager for the West and have seen a lot of growth in computer science.

I’m excited to work with so many enthusiastic and amazing affiliates to broaden the participation of students all ages in computer science.

You can touch base with me on:
Linkedin
Twitter