'16-'17 General Discussion for Lesson 2.8

Use this thread to discuss your questions and comments about how to run the lesson.

I am googling articles on infographics and found these great articles:

One on the history of infographics (and it connects to political uses of data - relevant given that its election season.
And this one who blames infographics for giving false information. Probably a good extension of the “good or bad” data visualizations we look at in class.

Lotsa great stuff out there!

Correlations between two unrelated topics

I included some of these correlations when introducing this lesson as a way to show that data is sometimes what you make of it. It was a funny starting point and the kids had a good time with it. It was a way for me to show them two unrelated events might be correlated, but that really doesn’t mean they are cause and effects of one another. It was also a good transition into the next lesson (Check Your Assumptions).

Just something fun!

3 Likes

Has anyone heard of the site http://fivethirtyeight.com/ and the related field of DATA Journalism which I believe is very much connected to U2L8 and the back half of Unit 2?

FiveThirtyEight is a “gamechanger” in my opinion.

There is so much potential to open the minds and eyes of our students in the back half of Unit 2. I also see the connections in the AP Statistics curriculum as well which taps into the process of “telling a story” through Question, Design a Study, Collect Data, Analyze and Conclude.

Powerful stepping stones. Thanks code.org

3 Likes

Using google trends I explored the upcoming elections: The trends that were noted included information about both political candidates, current issues that they were dealing with in their candidacy.
Since it is a current topic that students are familiar with, I believe it is a good topics to help them identify relationships that exist between the topics, and make inferences about the information provided.

1 Like