Answers to Lessons on YouTube!

Looking for resources, I saw a video with answers for U4 L7. The same person has a video on U4 L8. I am including the links. I don’t think it is okay to publish this for everyone to see. Students can easily can copy these answers. What do you think about this?
U4 L7
U4 L8

1 Like

Hi @rossiai,

Yes, we agree this is an issue and code.org is currently trying to do what they can to address it.

1 Like

I really hope this gets addressed soon. A number of my students have pretty clearly found these videos - it’s unbelievable that a teacher would just post public solutions to a course that thousands of other teachers and students are actively using…

1 Like

Please, you have to do something. I have several students using these videos to complete the different apps! My students are following the video to do the Museum app, now.

Hi @rossiai,

Whether it’s these videos or other ones, it’s almost guaranteed that somewhere on the internet students will be able to find answers. It’s the unfortunate reality of the internet. Code.org will try to do their best to curb what they can, but the control isn’t always in their hands.

Personally, my approach as a teacher has been to also do what I can on my end, which is to deal with student cheating as best as I could - because another unfortunate reality is that I would have to sooner or later. My approach was to let students know that I’m aware there may be many ways they could cheat, and that I expect them to do the work independently or to state who they collaborated with (they’re allowed to learn from each other, but not straight up copy like students seemed to do in this case) or state the resource(s) they got help from. From there, teachers seem to have a pretty individualized philosophy/policy when it comes to cheating.

Usually students who do the most egregious cheating leave the most evidence. In those cases, I would gather the evidence and have a conversation with the student and present them the evidence and state that I feel it’s pretty strong evidence of cheating (if I didn’t have very convincing evidence, then I wouldn’t accuse them of cheating). This was also a good time to ask where they got help from, or if you’re more generous, you may have a conversation entirely less accusatory in nature. :slight_smile:

I used standards-based grading so I didn’t “punish” students with zeros, but I would mark ALL their homework as “incomplete” because if I knew they cheated on some assignments, I couldn’t trust the rest of them (innocent until proven guilty may apply to our country’s legal system technically, but doesn’t mean that has to be my classroom policy) - BUT they were allowed to make up the work 100%, just that all the work they made up underwent extra scrutiny and/or they’d have to submit it at a time when they could also explain all their work (usually meaning after school or during tutorial).

This wasn’t meant specifically as a punishment, but it was a deterrent and at the same time I feel it was justified in terms of how to count those assignments as evidence of learning. I’m not suggesting you do this, but presenting it as an example of a cheating policy that was my effort to help curb student cheating.

3 Likes

Thank you, Frank. Your words are very wise… I was just so frustrated last night when I was grading. Thank you again.

@rossiai,

It’s definitely a very frustrating situation. :confused: Unfortunately no easy answers for us, and it’s not so easy to control what others post on the internet :smile: (I guess there’s pros and cons to that one).