Students Copying all their code from YouTube

I have found that a large amount of my AP CSP students and my CSD students are using YouTube to copy almost all of their work.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbsvRhEyGkKfNohJaFQ3l035JpcsUoEMo

This YouTube playlist has just about every single level for every lesson on Code.org.
The worst part is that a couple of my students used code from this YouTube channel for their entire program they submitted to the College Board.

What can I do about this? How do I have a discussion with my students about copying other people’s work vs. finding the help they need online? I am really struggling with this since we are not in a classroom anymore.

2 Likes

It’s sad that students don’t understand the repercussions of plagiarism. I struggle with copying and cheating in both CSP and CSA. I have given up on giving them credit for assignments.

Since a couple of your students have submitted copied code as part of their Create PT and have not cited the youtube channel as their source, you should probably let College Board know and flag those students.

1 Like

Also please report posted answers to code.org and they’ll try to work with the content hosts to remove the answers. You can email support@code.org.

I agree with Sangeeta, and I believe College Board actually states that one of teachers’ responsibilities is to flag submissions for plagiarism and cite the evidence.

2 Likes

The first thing I did was flag them to the College Board. I am more wondering how I can better help keep my students engaged with the content when there are so many ways to easily get answers with a Google search. Many new computer programers fresh out of college get a shock when they join the workforce and discover they can’t just get answers from stackexchange.com and youtube anymore. So many of my students lost their will to engage with the material since our safer-at-home orders. I don’t blame them. But I want to help them.

It’s sad to know that some students do not understand the importance of learning and why plagiarism is not a good idea. Especially now that local and international schools are advised to do online teaching, students get more access to information which they think is better since it will save them time from solving the tasks that they are asked to.

Now that some of your students copied and submitted answers from a certain source, you may want to address your concern through the College Board.

There is a way to use these videos so that they provide a legitimate way for students to get unstuck. The YouTube playlist you posted goes over each lesson in detail, including the concepts behind the work. I actually think they are helpful if used correctly.
Of course copying a project off the web and posting it as a performance task is not okay!
They way I see it, the code.org modules are a much-needed replacement for old-school lectures where the teacher talks and the students try to follow along in their notebooks and then go and type in the code later. It’s not super critical for students to work everything out on their own. In my opinion a little help here is fine if they need it. After all, if they get stuck, they can’t move forward. In the classroom they can ask their peers or teacher, but when working remotely it’s really difficult to get help. Codecademy, a professional learning tool, provides a “View Solution” feature you can use when you get stuck (and I have used it).
One thing that worked for me during remote learning was recording myself going over the coding exercises and then posting on EdPuzzle (so that students are forced to listen to explanations!). Time consuming but students said it was helpful.
The real learning happens when students work on their own creative projects. This is the part where they should not be copying whole solutions from the web! I tell them if they are copying more than 3 lines of code, it’s too much. In the classroom I see them working (or not working) so it’s not a problem. For “hybrid learning” in the fall I was thinking of having students record a video of themselves explaining 3 sections of code as a plagiarism and concept knowledge check.

1 Like

Many of my students have never been taught how to learn. They are way behind on every subject. The frustration they feel when asked to do self guided learning leads them to alternative methods.

1 Like

I would be grateful if you could post one of your edpuzzles so I can see how you were able to incorporate it? I’m curious to see how it would work for us.