AP CSP Journal Entries

Just wanted to know how others are using JOURNALS in their classroom. I have my students write a Journal Entry for every MAKE lesson. I want them to write about how and why they write code. I tell them they are writing notes to themselves (in their journals), to explain their code. I also have them copy/paste their code into their journal. Journal Entry Unit 4 Lesson 8 Conditionals Make.docx (133.8 KB)

I have attached a copy of my journal entry here for you to look at and offer feedback. I paste this journal entry into Google Classroom so students can have a model as to what their journal entries should look like.

Is anyone doing something similar? Please share how you do it in your classroom.

1 Like

This is a good idea. Students tend to struggle a little when they get to the Make assignments. My journal use is very simple. I have my students answer the lesson prompts in a word document that they turn in at the end of each unit. They can also use them as a review guide before the unit assessment.

It’s my first time teaching this course. Can someone share their AP CSP Journal set up with me? There is one in resources, but the link is not working. I plan on using the Google classroom. Thanks in advance.

Here is a discussion thread that has some digital journals shared. Here is another one. Hopefully, these will help.

When I had students record digital journals, I gave them a template DOC and they filled it is while in class. Here’s an example:

You can make a copy and then delete the parts which look like a student filled in to see the template.

It’s a nice starting place and I recommend changing the template for each Unit based upon your likes and dislikes.

Overall, it’s a system of accountability and connection.

Here’s a “BLANK” one

Thank you so much for saving me from losing my mind. Thank you, thank you, thank you!