Code.org - Computer Science in Algebra PD: Teacher Introduction

I teach 8th grade Math & Algebra 1 at Maria Saucedo Scholastic Academy. I am interested in computer science and I am excited to teach math incorporating coding.

I teach 7th grade math at Lakeside Middle in Forsyth County. I liked the little bit of computer science I had in college and think this is a great skill for my students to learn, or be exposed to, at an early age. Iā€™m always interested in any new trends in technology and wanted to learn more.

When not in school I spend my time coaching and playing volleyball, reading, running, and taking care of my wonderful dog Georgie.

1 Like

I teach at Waggoner Road Junior High. I teach 8th grade math and geometry. I am interested in giving students another real-world application for the math they learn in a field that will be extremely valuable to them. I like to rock climb, work out, and hang with my baby daughter and wife.

My name is JeNell Roberts and I teach 8th grade Math and HS Math 1 at Woodward Park in Columbus, Ohio. I have been interested in coding and computer science after attending the Etech conference for the last several years. I recognize that these skills are important for our future and for our studentsā€™ futures. I have wanted to learn coding for a few years now so that I could teach my students. I am excited for the opportunity to finally learn it and to have the materials to easily share what I have learned with my students!!!
I am also excited to see that there are many teachers here who seem to have similar interests in connecting math and technology (& PBL) and look forward to the opportunity to connect and share ideas.

Hi! My name is Melissa Lord. I teach Accelerated Algebra 1 and Algebra 1 to 8th graders at Dacula Middle School in Dacula, Georgia (Gwinnett County). This will be my ninth year of teaching but in my previous career, I was a controls engineer developing systems for factory automation and wrote a lot of software of different types. I am very interested in how to integrate the code.org lessons into my classroom as extensions for students who quickly grasp the concepts and want to extend them. Outside the classroom, I have three children and am very involved in their activities. I am also involved with our church events and I love to read as well.

I did not know you were taking this class. I will see you there. :smile:

My name is Raquel Garcia and I am a 6th grade Math teacher at New River Middle School. I am interested in Computer Science because I want my students to be prepared for the real-world and I know that being able to write code is a great opportunity for them. I am excited to use this with my students next year. I love to spend time with my husband, travel and be in nature.

I have taught Math through grades 6-8 at Rickards Middle in Broward County, Florida. By the workshop in coding, I will be able to help my students in using computer to translate or implement the results of given problems. During my spare time, I read and write on different topics including literature, business and so on.

*A Mathematician Reads the Newspaper
Paulos, John Allen

*Flatterland: Like Flatland, Only More So
Stewart, Ian

*The Music of the Primes: Searching to Solve the Greatest Mystery in Mathematics
du Sautoy, Marcus

*Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics
Derbyshire, John

*The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography
Singh, Simon

*Flatland (Illustrated Edition)
Abbot, Edwin A.

*Math and the Mona Lisa
Atalay, Bulent

The Man Who Loved Only Numbers: The Story of Paul Erdos and the Search for Mathematical Truth
Hoffman, Paul

*Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea
Seife, Charles

*The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure
by Hans Magnus Enzensberger

Hi, I am Jean Galiotte and I have been teaching mathematics for 17 years. I currently teach 6th and 7th grade for Lauderhill 6-12 in Florida for Broward County School District.
As a math teacher I enjoy working one-on-one with students in ways for them to have an opportunity to reflect on their level and then orient them to the learning environment which is characterized by democratic processes in which students assume active roles and take responsibility for their own learning.

1 Like

My name is Tracey Hollabaugh. I teach 8th grade Advanced and Accelerated Math at South Forsyth Middle in Cumming, Georgia. Teaching is a second career for me. My undergraduate degree was in Computer Science and I spent almost 20 years in the computer industry before switching to teaching. Havenā€™t coded in almost 2 decades, so Iā€™m looking forward to this opportunity to blend my current and former lives. :wink:

My name is Leeanne Mullinax and I teach 6th grade Math at Liberty Middle School in Cumming, Georgia. This year will be my 3rd year teaching 6th grade math. Teaching is a second career for me, I spent 13 years working for a computer company and saw first hand how important programming can be, and I am very excited about learning a new way to enrich the learning of my math students.

I enjoy spending time with my husband, daughter (who is leaving for college in August) and our puppy Ginger. Also, I enjoy watching Big Bang Theory, reading and continuing my education.

I teach mathematics at Belvedere Middle School in East Los Angeles.
I am interested in computer science because I believe in anything that will allow me to generate interest in the topic I teach. Computer Science offers an opportunity to teach mathematics with the possibility of engaging my students in something that might benefit them in the near future.
I enjoy camping w/ my family and going off-roading in the desert.

I teach Science in Forsyth County Georgia. I am interested in using computer models to model science concepts and to apply math withing that framework.

My Name is Jenny Rhoads and I teach 7th grade advanced and on-level math in Forsyth County Ga. I am interested to learn how to use computer science to engage my students more within the classroom.

Hello! My name is Linda Ebert. I teach middle school math in Forsyth County (S. Forsyth Middle), focusing on 7th and 8th grade standards. I also tutor high school students. I graduated from college with a minor in programming (years ago:) and have always felt that anytime we can integrate technology into facilitating learning, the entire environment will benefit. One area I look forward to gaining additional insight into is how we can use the coding to support students who struggle with learning to help them to become more independent, successful and excited about math.

@ndeborahb I enjoyed your post. I graduated in '88 with a minor in MIS, focusing on programming in Cobol. I agree about women in technology and wanting to see even more participate. My training allowed me to work from home when my kids were small and now I teach. Thanks for your post. It was encouraging!

My name is Alecia Folkes I teach seventh and eighth grade math. I love incorporating technology into the classroom as it keeps the students engaged. Last school year I participated in the hour of code with my seventh graders and they were very involved. I am eager to learn and expose students to Computer Science, as there are so many growing opportunities for them.

In my spare time I enjoy traveling and spending time with my son.

Hi Lindaā€¦interesting point about increasing our knowledge from this course to help struggling students become more proficient in Math!

Glad to hear you too used Hour of Code