CSA Unit 2 - Lesson 7.4 and 7.5 are redundant

It looks like Unit 2 Lessons 7.4 and 7.5 are asking the student to do the same things they did in 7.2 and 7.3. Am I missing something? Thanks! jr

Greetings!

Thanks for writing in about Unit 2, Lesson 7. I can completely empathize on how these activities might seem redundant. 7.2 & 7.3 serve as a basic introduction to Accessor Methods and have the students writing them within the Dessert class and then printing those values to the console.

7.4 & 7.5, however, are focused on the Dessert subclass that the students first created in 6.3 (see below)

The students created one of four different subclasses: cookie, pie, donut, or cupcake. If the students haven’t already, they should save this subclass into their backpack so that they can access it in 7.4 & 7.5. They can also use the link that is provided at the top of the instruction page to copy/paste a sample subclass with which to work.

From here, students are gaining experience and practice with writing Accessor Methods. The task that they are asked to perform is similar between 7.2/7.3 & 7.4/7.5, but they are extending their knowledge and applying it with a subclass instead of the super class.

Thanks for writing in to share your experience. Let me know if you’d like clarification about anything that I mentioned above.

Cheers,
Erik

Might I suggest that the way it is written is confusing. For your instructions for 7.4, it would be more helpful for students if you said “In your Cookie class”. I think that would make this much clearer. Also, it’s confusing how you instruct students to import the Cookie subclass to the workspace, in the Lesson 7 instructions. You say “Import your Dessert sub-class” and then add “Don’t see it, click here” which shows 3 Dessert subclasses. Again, maybe we’re just splitting nomenclature hairs, but if you specifically refer to the “Cookie class” as a Dessert subclass students would follow better. jr