CSP Forum Introductions

In our online PD you will have many opportunities to connect with other teachers through a forum. Take this opportunity to introduce yourself by sharing the same information that each of the facilitators shared on the previous level. **In your first post take a minute and introduce yourself by sharing your teaching background and any hobbies or pastimes you enjoy!**

Welcome to the online forum! take a few minutes to introduce yourself to others completing the PD.

My name is Bill McFall and I am a science and math teacher at Troy Jr. / Sr. High School. I have taught algebra and geometry and assisted with Calculus 1. I also teach physical science currently and I am qualified for all science and math courses in grades 6-12. This year I taught 5 different math or science classes every school day. My current hobbies include hunting and many other outdoor activities.

Hi ! My name is Luis H. Parra and I have been teaching Science in middle school for over 17 years, mainly 7th Grade.

My name is Patrick and this is the end of my 8th year in the Chicago Public Schools. I have taught the traditional “MS Office & Keyboarding” class, AP CS, Gaming Concepts (CTE program) and used pieces of the ECS curriculum within all of them.

I am the head varsity baseball coach, asst. boys softball coach, moderator of the WWE club and help with the school’s student IT club.

Hi, my name is Mondy. I am a math teacher for LAUSD in California. i teach 7th and 8th math. I have been for 7 years and i was a substitute teacher for 8 years. I love working with teens. They have lots of energy and they help me feel and stay young. i enjoy my job and trying to help and make a difference.

My name is Jim Winn. I have been teaching for 20 years. My latest schooling experience as a student was completing a Ph. D. program at the UofI. My focus was on non-traditional learners and environments. I am excited to learn new things that will help students with differing learning styles…that is pretty much all students. I am excited to meet everyone!

My name is Sangeeta Bhatnagar and I have been teaching Math and Computer Science for 13 years. I currently teach in a public high school in San Jose, California. For the past two years, I have been teaching Computer Science full time. I teach ECS and AP CS. I will be piloting the CSP course next year.

Hello, I am Tom Thompson. I am currently teaching Computer Science and Engineering at Westlake High School in Waldorf, MD. I taught the ECS course last year, and will be adding CSP next year. I am looking forward to the training, and learning something new!

Hey Mathematicians,

No, I don’t teach Math actually, but with Computer Science you end teaching all subjects and mathematics plus Coding equals a great time. I have taught at Post Falls Middle School for the past 10 years. Before those glorious times I was an instructional coach for eight years at the University of Idaho. And prior to all the educational classes I was in the real world of electronics/mechanical engineering building slow motion movie cameras, 35mm film winders, truck /nuclear scales, keyboards and firstly a field service representative in the music industry. It’s been an exciting life and technology has been the main focus for over 45 years of my life. I say 45+ years as when I was a wee-lad my grandmommy and Grandpappy gave me my first electronics lab that sparked my interest in technology. Now look at me.

Hello Everyone,
I am an Instructional Coach with Chicago Public Schools in the Computer Science for All Program. Although I have never taught Computer Science, I do have a teaching certification in Business Education and have taught Computer Education. I also have a Master’s Degree in Technology and Education and a Masters Degree in Educational Leadership. I am excited about this curriculum and the positive change we can make for our students. I believe this computer science curriculum will have a tremendous impact and I am anxious to support our classroom teachers with instructional strategies and proven best practices. These are very exciting times!

Hi all,
Next school year will be my 3rd year teaching Computer Science. I have taught ECS and APCS for the past two years. My background is in Computer Science so I am very thrilled to be a part of this journey. I have a B.S. degree in Computer Science. I have a full Math teaching credential. I have taught various Math class for four years in total.
I hope to learn and share ideas with all of you. I like to cook and travel. I have an adorable 5 year old dog (Cocker Spaniel).

HI My name is Tiffani and I teach at Cypress Bay High School. I have been fortunate to teach computer science for the last four years. Before teaching computer science I taught various math courses and although I enjoyed teaching math, teaching computer science students is a lot more fun and rewarding. I am looking forward to teaching the new CSP class.

Katie Lavin

Teaching Experience

• Spent five years at a private school in Chicago teaching 7th - 8th grade Pre-Algebra and Algebra and 6th - 8th grade Earth, Life, and Physical Science
  • Last seven years have been at a Chicago Public School on the near south side. My first three years here were teaching 6th - 8th grade Science, since then I have transitioned to the K - 8 Technology Teacher and Technology Coordinator for my school.

Hobbies and Interests

• Obsessed with soccer and still play competitively! Can’t wait for the start of the World Cup this weekend
  • Love Ireland, the game Rummikub, and photography

I am under your program in CPS and look forward to working with you!

Hi, My name is Pat Mariscal and I have taught science for the past 7 years. I am currently teaching 8th grade science and will begin to also teach a program through PLTW called, Medical Detectives. I am excited to learn more about this class and what it can offer my students. I look forward to meeting all of you in the next couple of weeks!

My name is Melody Stahl and I have been teaching Java Programming, AP CS A, Digital Electronics and Designing Technology Solutions (aka ECS) for the past 6 years. I taught other subjects like Web Design and Visual Basic before that. I enjoy learning new things and love to travel! I am looking forward to teaching the new CSP course.

Hello all, Joey Pascal from Spokane, WA here. This is my 18th year of teaching Career & Technical Ed. I have taught a host of classes relating to and not relating to technology. My tech class path has been Keyboarding - Comp Apps - Alg Comp Apps - Web Design - ECS and now I will be adding the AP CSP Pilot to the list.

During my down time (ha ha… like teachers have a lot of that) I enjoy spending time with family and friends, cooking (and eating), baking, knitting, and reading. I also enjoy exploring the world through the eyes of my (nearly) 2-year-old son.

Hi, my name is Melanie Kalmar and I teach computer science and business classes at Tuscarora High School in Frederick, Maryland. I have been teaching for 11 years and I am looking forward to incorporating this curriculum into my Foundations of Computer Science (CSP) class next school year.

Hi, my name is Anthony Competiello and I teach A+ Computer Repair, Networking, MS Office and Computer Science at William E. Grady HS in Brooklyn, NY. I have been teaching for close to 9 years. In my free time I like to travel, play games and spending time with family.