Helping out a summer intern working on a project related to Summer Teacher Professional Development

Hi, My name is Anna, and I am a member of the Code/Interactive + Mouse team this summer. I am also a student at Washington and Lee University participating in an internship that looks at Poverty and Human Capability. I am extremely interested in looking at the experience of educators who teach computer science. CS education in our schools and educator experience are insightful tools to analyze the education system as a whole.

So, what questions do I have?

General:

What is your first name?

What Grade level(s) do you teach? and What discipline?

Where do you teach?

What is the demographic makeup of your school?

Specific:

Why are you participating in professional development?

What are your goals?

What is your hope for the future of technology in education?

What are some setbacks, either personally, professionally, or generally, that you have seen or are familiar with? i.e. Things that would prevent your hope for the future of technology in education?

All participation is completely voluntary, and I appreciate greatly your willingness to share your experience and your stories. Thank you, Anna.

ANSWERS to questions you have?

General:

What is your first name? Janine

What Grade level(s) do you teach? and What discipline? University level computer science

Where do you teach? Computer consulting Businesses

What is the demographic makeup of your school? All nationalities, including English, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Philopino, west Indians etc.

Specific:

Why are you participating in professional development? Learning is a lifetime enjoyment,and I want to create a modern app game.I also teach computer science to all my young relatives - both software and hardware

What are your goals? To make computers easy for everyone. To eliminate boring tasks. To use computers to teach language.

What is your hope for the future of technology in education? Computer literacy is a available for everyone and it is not expensive or time-consuming to acquire

What are some setbacks, either personally, professionally, or generally, that you have seen or are familiar with? i.e. Things that would prevent your hope for the future of technology in education? Storage to share information is not readily Available and software to do development keeps changing. Computers are more than tools but they need to be an extension of your day to day activities just like talking and texting are today.security needs to allow people to do their work without levels of security where only the superuser can use the full environment.for example, single updates of rows of data where the update could be performed more accurately and timely through bulk updates.