Learning how to use dataset/codes in applab

Hi everyone,

Can someone help and point to me the correct place to look at which unit covers how to use datasets and the data codes in applab? I want my students to create an app and when the user inputs a text e.g. question might be ‘favourite dog?’ ‘Husky’. Can they see this in the dataset and possibly download it into the excel?

And if someone can also give me some examples on how to code with the dataset when user enters a text. Haven’t taught this topic and am new to it.

Any help is appreciated

Unit 9 covers pulling data from datasets. I don’t have a lot of experience with it but they have certain sets of data available. Here is lesson one of the unit. They do a lot of pulling data from the datasets and using traversals to step through it.

Thanks for that. I have looked through that unit and it is good. I am after a unit that introduces how to use the data codes in the code section of applab. For example I want my students to learn how to use ‘createRecord’ when a user inputs in a text and they can then see what the user has input. But I can’t seem to find a unit that has this.

Hi @e.fat - datasets are introduced in Unit 5 in the Traversal Section (starts at Lesson 9). In Lesson 10, we have an example using the Dogs dataset that you might want to take a look at: https://studio.code.org/s/csp5-2020/stage/10/puzzle/4

In the current curriculum students interact with the datasets using the getColumn() command. If you’d like to dig into createRecord(), I suggest looking at the old Post-AP - Data Tools unit: https://studio.code.org/s/csppostap-2019. However, this unit was written prior to the datasets being added into the tool, so some adjustments may need to be made.

Thank you for that. I think that is what I am after. Within applab and the data tab, once users input text can students download the results? Is that possible?

@e.fat - Yes, students can download the results. If they navigate to their table in the data tab, they will find an “Export to CSV” button.

I have a question about privacy and importing a new data set. If I import a CSV file of student names would that data set only be available to me in my Code.org account or to others? Who sees it and how secure is it?

The database is not shared when the project is re-mixed. You can not change the code in someone else’s project. So the names are protected from someone who knows nothing about programming.

However, someone who does know something can easily get that dataset.