PPR Create Task Prompt...Acceptable Lists

I need some AP Board clarification concerning PPR submissions related to lists.

In box #1, it wants the line of code which shows the list you will be showcasing. I suspect many students will have something like:
scores = [89,100,92,31,77,88]; or
names - [“Sue”,“Kate”,“Roxanne”,“William”,“Derek”,“Jordan”,“Chris”];

Since students using Applan have access to the DATA Tab with built in data and the command getColumn, I am really hoping the AP Board will accept lines like

var startYear = getColumn(“US Presidents”, “Took office”);

Does anyone one know how I can confirm that students will be able to use the DATA Tab and getColumn to get lists of information?

In addition, in the second box, it wants you to show how the list in being process. However, what if you pass this list into a function and locally, it is called myList and not startYear. Without being able to use comments in these snippets, how does the graded know startYear and myList are the same list object?

It seems like we promote good style and abstraction but the directions imply should keep it very simple.

Any thoughts?

Where can I get AP Board clarity on these types of questions? Who?

Thanks

I can share what I have seen in the past - but am not a college board rep and cannot speak for them. To get answers directly from college board I suggest logging on to their site and using the teachers forum.

That said, students have had no problem with using getColumn() in the past when they screenshot their code. I have also seen students be successful when manipulating a list with a different name inside their function if they clearly articulate what is happening in the writing. If a student either cannot clearly articulate the process or is worried about their reader understanding their process, I think I would probably accept give a little with regards to abstraction in order to take with regards to clarity.

Should they be able to do it? Probably. Will keeping the same name reduce ambiguity for a reader? Also yes. I’d probably keep the name to stay on the safe side and understand that I was compromising on abstraction in order to improve readability for my audience, but that is just my gut feeling.

2 Likes

Great advice. Thank you so much.