Project Guide - Personal Website

I think it is a little unusual to have on a worksheet both a sketch and the expectation of inserting a picture. Maybe it should be broken up into 2 parts?

Myra,

Sorry, I don’t understand your question. Generally speaking we always want to have our students plan out a webpage so they know what skills they are going to need, and this is done professionally as well with story boards. Inserting a picture was covered in Lesson 7 and in this sketch the students just have to reference a image they want (on the physical paper) and then copy and paste (and give attribution) the image in the project as they have multiple class periods to do it.

I noticed on this lesson plan they removed the suggested “minutes” for the lesson, but keep in mind it covers an entire week in the planning guide, so I would allow students the time to make something they are really proud of.

I hope that helped - let me know if you have further questions.
Brad

You did not answer my question. I am a veteran cs teacher and well aware of the value of planning. My issue is that I feel the assignment should have been divided into 2 parts. When I require a drawing. I duplicate it and allow the students to sketch it with a pencil. I feel this gives them more freedom. I certainly would not combine a hand drawn sketch with the requirement of digital images on the same worksheet. On our desktops we have no way to take a picture of the sketch.

Myra,

Thank you for clarifying your question. As a veteran CS teacher you’ve probably taught many lessons and know what works for your students. Keep in mind that the Code.org curriculum is merely a suggestion and guide for those less familiar. Feel free to modify the curriculum as needed and separate it for your students.

With this lesson and the App Proposal in Unit 1, I gave my students the freedom of Digital drawings on any platform they wanted (Photoshop, Google Draw, etc…) and let other students hand draw. Then we snapped pictures with our phones and uploaded to Google Drive where they could use them in presentations.

Let me know any further questions,
Brad

1 Like

I am having a great deal of difficulty getting my website projects to hyperlink correctly.
It appears the code is correct but the link only turns a different color when they click it.
Do you have any suggestions?

Ted,

Can you share the project with me? Click on “publish” in the top left hand corner - then copy and paste the URL. If not, please copy and paste the HTML code so I can take a look.

The URL’s should change color because the change states - to “visited” but you might have to be in a preview mode for the external link to work.

Let me know,
Brad

Myra,
On the project guide, I had my students sketch out what their page is going to look like. One option of doing this is that you could have them sketch it out using Google Drawing. You can insert pictures to the project guide directly via the insert tab in Google Docs. By sketching out their website and finding the images beforehand, it allows a developer to know the code and content needed to build each page. You can think of it as a rough draft. The rough draft may not look like the final version of the web page, and that’s okay. This is actually common practice in the developer world. A storyboard, as they are called in the developer world, traces the path through a site or app from the point of view of a typical user. It usually includes a script and “scenes” consisting of screen views or the user interacting with the screen. So on the project guide, not only does it have your students sketch out the web page, it also has them describe what it would look like. You could, in this section, have them describe the steps it would take to accomplish various tasks throughout their website. Alternatively, if you want to keep everything on the computer, you could challenge your students by having them sketch out their drawing in the Paint program that is on their computer. Once they do it in Paint, they can save it as an image, or they could take a screenshot of it and insert it into their project guide.

Paul

1 Like