Sorting Students In Dashboard - Solution for Sort by LAST NAME

I’m a longtime and VERY SATISFIED TEACHER of Code.org! However, it’s BAFFLING that a such an AWESOME organization, devoted to teaching kids how to code, —> can’t determine a way to allow teachers to sort students by LAST name. I understand that we’re an international community (different languages = different naming conventions) but perhaps you could allow those of us, who organize our classrooms by LAST NAME, to do some of the work… I’d gladly retype my students names into TWO ADDITIONAL FIELDS which could then be linked internally, ALLOWing for sorting of student PROGESS by LAST NAME. Many of us have ASKED FOR THIS SINCE 2016. Sorting Students In Dashboard - #11 by josh.schulte (This would help me to keep my GRADE BOOK current, thus keeping PARENTS BETTER INFORMED.

1 Like

@gary_cheek,

This may not quite be what you are after, but if you are willing to retype them, you can currently do that in a way.

From your “Manage Students” page, you can click on the gears icon and choose “edit all”. This will allow you to retype the names any way you want to (including last, first) in the single name field and that will allow you to sort by last name.

Mike

Uhm, Any movement from Code.org about “correcting” this bug in the manage student process. Rewriting one class is fine, but when its 7 classes that’s a lot of names and a lot of ctrl-x and ctrl-v.

Please most magnificent coders at Code.org add this feature.

3 Likes

Did I miss the solution for this? I’m a newbie and would really love to sort by Last Name. Thanks!

It has been announced (within the last week) as a feature that will be implemented shortly. I’m not sure if it’s rolling out slowly or if it will roll out all at once, but it is supposed to be coming very soon… Here’s what was released in the newsletter this past week …

Mike

New features coming soon! Sort by family name on the teacher panel

****In response to numerous teacher requests, we’re excited to announce a new feature: this coming school year, the student list on the teacher panel will be sortable by family name! This will save time when evaluating student work, since most gradebooks are organized by last name.

Teachers will be able to edit students’ family names on the Manage Students tab of the section dashboard, then choose “sort by family name” on the teacher panel. We will work to improve and expand this functionality over time; please let us know if you have any questions or feedback!

1 Like

Hi, Bryan here from the Code.org product team! We’re very pleased to announce that the functionality to sort by last name is now available on the Manage Students tab, the Progress Table, and the teacher panel! See this newly-updated support article for more details: https://support.code.org/hc/en-us/articles/14966222653325