Change sort order in classroom

Hi! Wondering if it is possible to change the sort order of students to sort by last name then first name?

Hi @cedgar,

Unfortunately no, at least not through a feature in the teacher dashboard. Here is an explanation why this is more difficult for a few reasons including Code.org’s international base. I understand the frustration. There are some good workarounds. Here is a solution that asks you to have the students change their name. Depending on the age of your students and your current teaching environment (hybrid, remote, etc.), this may be challenging. So, another option is to go to the main classroom dashboard, go to the gear for the class to “manage students”. Then, go to the gear next to “action” and choose “edit all”. From here, you can edit all students at once.

I hope this helps,
Michelle

Great idea to change the names! Can’t believe I didn’t think of that!

I sync my classes with Google Classroom and set my Google Classroom to sort them by last name. Now my Code classes do it too! (As long as my students don’t go in and change their names in Code :crazy_face:.)

1 Like

Hi, Bryan here from the Code.org product team! I’m pleased to say that Google Classroom sections will now sync student first names and last names separately. See this newly-updated support article for more details: https://support.code.org/hc/en-us/articles/14966222653325
Note this only applies to new student accounts created through Google Classroom sync - any existing student accounts won’t be updated at this time.